Skimmer recommendations

Monti1

Hi guys,

Been out of the tank game for 3-4 years. Just bought a house and will be picking up my 60 gallon cube tank this weekend. Starting to put together equipment to be used. What's everyone running for skimmers these days. Obviously with a 60 gallon I won't have a ton of room but I'm looking for a higher end skimmer that will handle a decent bio load. Going to make a small mixed reef with mostly LPS corals and a few SPS pieces.

Thanks in advance for any input guys!

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Illinijoe

TeamCR
I've always heard good things about the NYOS skimmers for the higher end. I'd like to get one down the road. Right now i have an aquamaxx on my 73 gallon that i like alot. it is quiet and works well.

Monti1

I've always heard good things about the NYOS skimmers for the higher end. I'd like to get one down the road. Right now i have an aquamaxx on my 73 gallon that i like alot. it is quiet and works well.
I'll have to take a look into them. How long have you had the aquamaxx for?

ultimatemj

The NYOS Quantom 120 is really nice, hence the "highend" price ~$400.

I've been using the Aqaumaxx CO-1 for a couple of years and have nothing but good things to say about...it's a solid performer for a "mid-level" price ($270ish).
5" chamber with a Sicce Shark1.5 pump that only pulls 16w. Air intake: 360 L/hr (about 3/4 the draw of the NYOS).

Plenty for my 70g system...and I spent the price difference on the Avast Davy Jones locker (plugged into an APEX to turn off the skimmer when full).
View attachment 20951

Monti1

The NYOS Quantom 120 is really nice, hence the "highend" price ~$400.

I've been using the Aqaumaxx CO-1 for a couple of years and have nothing but good things to say about...it's a solid performer for a "mid-level" price ($270ish).
5" chamber with a Sicce Shark1.5 pump that only pulls 16w. Air intake: 360 L/hr (about 3/4 the draw of the NYOS).

Plenty for my 70g system...and I spent the price difference on the Avast Davy Jones locker (plugged into an APEX to turn off the skimmer when full).
View attachment 20951
I'm looking into both the NYOS and The aqua maxx. The aquamaxx seems to be a good performer for the money. I'll have to take a look into the locker because I'm planning on running an Apex as well. Thanks for the input.

faisal629

I have a super reef octopus SSS 1000 on my 60G cube and I love it! Pulls a gallon of dark thick sticky skimmate a week!

shift9k

Currently running a Bubble Magus CURVE 5 on my reefer 250 (65 gallons) it was super cheap. The build quality is surprisingly good and it's doing the job well.

Not high end if price is what you're looking at.

NYOS takes the cake there.

Monti1

Yeah seems NYOS is the top option. Good to see there are plenty of other option that perform well. I learned many years ago you get what you pay for in this hobby. I'm thinking I'll be going with the aquamaxx and use some of the left over money for lighting. Thanks for everyone's quick input!

Choseneball

no joke the vertex omega 130 is the nicest skimmer I've ever used. made out of heavy duty acrylic. everything about it screams quality. super sturdy. comes apart extremely easy with no mess!! foam insert for quietness. titanium screws to never ever rust. uses a sicce pump specially modified for use with the skimmer and a vortex is created with bubbles before it even gets to the higher part of the main chamber

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Monti1

no joke the vertex omega 130 is the nicest skimmer I've ever used. made out of heavy duty acrylic. everything about it screams quality. super sturdy. comes apart extremely easy with no mess!! foam insert for quietness. titanium screws to never ever rust. uses a sicce pump specially modified for use with the skimmer and a vortex is created with bubbles before it even gets to the higher part of the main chamber

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
That's a good looking skimmer. I'm thinking about running a remote sump to add some water volume to the system. Going to do a little looking into this one as well. Thanks for the input!

Spartanman22

I run a Vertex Omega 150 with the Vertex neck cleaner. Build quality is unbelievable. The acrylic is thick and seem less construction. Performance has been great. Pretty much set and forget with the Swabbie. Wired in a shutoff float in the waste container and don't have to touch the Skimmer other than twice a year for cleaning.

Monti1

Just got home from an insane few days of work and to my surprise my wife ordered me the aquamaxx. Pretty cool if you ask me. Completely surprised. Thanks for everyone's input. Can't wait to see this thing work!