Skimmer thoughts - just under 200G TV

jayjigga

After a bunch of research, I'm leaning towards a specific brand, but it hasn't been getting a ton of play yet. If I wasn't temporarily banana'd on RC, I'd be able to "search" better, but w/e...

Weigh in people! Budget is always a concern, but not for this discussion. If you would like to suggest an "if you won the lotto" skimmer and a reasonable suggestion, that's fine :)

TIA

SMACKERS4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXuEebGU9zA

This 8-part series from LA Fish Guy (who barely talks in this series thank god) will tell you everything you could ever want to know about skimmers. skip past the goofy intro and its actually a very informative series. other than that i dont think any Skimmer is without its downfalls, personally i went for a space saving design, but with the pump under the skimmer you also cut the size of the bubble compartment smaller. The skimmers the guy talks about seem awesome i know they are pricey though. i think what ever you can get your hands on used weather its a Reef Octupus, SWC, pretty much anything reputable would be a score in my opinion. Mnay things are to be considered when purchasing a skimmer, Cone, downdraft, needle wheel, pinwheel, recirc, in-sump, air-stone, venturi to name a few different types/styles. Once you decide which route you want to go with, then decided on a manufacturer/model.

Gary

Budget,

Use a straw, your lungs, and a cup. Might not get the results you'd want, but that's budget bro.

MMreef

Duds, guy is asking legit question and looking for input, can we here on CR finally stop this BS , if you have nothing of value to add ,keep those stupid jokes for yourselves or put it in right thread. There always some s..t clogging legit threads. ( there , I said it) . BTW Jay , those skimmers you're looking at looks awesome, I am sure you will make right decision at the end.

jayjigga

Duds, guy is asking legit question and looking for input, can we here on CR finally stop this BS , if you have nothing of value to add ,keep those stupid jokes for yourselves or put it in right thread. There always some s..t clogging legit threads. ( there , I said it) . BTW Jay , those skimmers you're looking at looks awesome, I am sure you will make right decision at the end.
Daym!!! Haha, for the record, I'm cool with Abel and I just met Gary so he's having a laugh (he might also be lacking sleep). Thanks for sticking up for me and the thread Mark. No fighting going forward...but legitimate suggestions are requested :)

tkh

What skimmer were you considering? So far I've loved my Skimz, which I think is essentially a Bubble King clone. It's not a super highend one, but it is a great skimmer, pulls out all sorts of nasties, and is virtually silent. I can't hear it at all, but then, my return from the tank, the return pump, and reactor pumps may just drown out the noise. It is very very quiet though!

tkh

Hehe, fair enough. Like I said, I love my skimz, and by not super highend, they're still pricey, but what isn't in this hobby? Sadly... Lol...

MMreef

+1 on Skimz, I own one and it is a beast. I love how quiet it is and how easy and precise adjustments you can do. Also the unique water output under the skimmer base guarantees almost no bubbles coming out.