SkullV's Office Ecoxotic EcoPico Build

SkullV

In anticipation of eventually going FOWLR with my home tank I decided to set up a little reef at the office.

So far everything was just ordered today but it should all be set up the week after the MCF party.

The tank is an Ecoxotic EcoPico Reef. I swapped out two of the White/Blue EcoPico LED strips for two full blue LED strips. At some point I plan to add a single .25w red LED to the mix to balance out the spectrum:

Instead of using the cheap filter that comes with the tank (designed for freshwater) I am going with this internal wet/dry overflow from CurrentUSA. Just going to run some Chemipure Elite in there. Mostly concerned with a little flow and surface agitation:

Going with a 25w Fluval Edge heater because it is very small, stylish, and I already have one brand new in the box:

Preliminary Stock List:
  • Pom Pom Xenia Rock
  • Bleeding Apple Scoly
  • Green Star Polyps
  • Aussie Duncans

but I'm sure there will be a lot more. Don't know if I am going to keep any fish (too small) or just some inverts in the tank.

The reefer

This is gonna b a nice build man. U should get a small zoa garden. That would stand out in this tank.

SkullV

The tank came today. You have NO idea how hard it is not to rip this thing open and get it filled up. Gotta wait until Tuesday to bring it to the office!

Renegade Reefer

That's perfect for someone that has a desk job, my girlfriend had been asking me to set up something like that for her at work that she could enjoy watching while she's there.
Thanks for sharing.

SkullV

All of the lights are on, tank is half full with water. Couldn't bring myself to carry a full 5g bucket all the way to the CTA bus and then from there to work.

The SubCurrent overflow is really nice, but would be way too big for this tank. Should have the rest of the water and rock in tomorrow. Coral in by Thursday.

Smith11

Hey just an Fyi i was looking into getting that fluval heater for a 4 gallon pico and i found out that it has no adjustable temp, it just stays at 78 F and that sometimes they go overhaul and cook the tank at like 98. So its a gamble with that heater. Just wanted to let you know.

SkullV

Hey just an Fyi i was looking into getting that fluval heater for a 4 gallon pico and i found out that it has no adjustable temp, it just stays at 78 F and that sometimes they go overhaul and cook the tank at like 98. So its a gamble with that heater. Just wanted to let you know.
All heaters are a gamble without a controller. I had good luck with one of these in the past so I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up though!

Jep21

you can try a marina 10 watt heater.. i use it for my 2.5 gallon pico.. it keeps the temp at about 78-79.. lowest it got was 77.. it works pretty well IMO