Smacks 65g

SMACKERS4

Ok so I have been through a couple of tanks, and lots of lighting and power heads, some never even saw water/power before I sold them off, but the 65g is here to stay. Its taken a while to get all the equipment I wanted so here it is without further ado.

Tank: 65g Clarity Plus Acrylic w/ center over flow 1 drain 1 return.
Lighting: 2x EcoTech Radion Gen2's
Flow: 2x EcoTec MP40WES
Sump: 30g ADHI refugium w/13w Fluval mini PC Fuge light
Return Pump: Diablo DC-3500 950GPH
Protein Skimmer: SWC 160 Extreme Cone Skimmer
Media reactor: BRS single media reactor (T'd into the return pump)
Media: Carbon & GFO
Rock: 60lbs of Real Reef Rock
Substrate: Tropic Eden Reef Flakes
RODI: Barracuda 75gpd RO/DI filtration system
Heater: Finnex 300w Titanium Heater w/digital controller
UV Sterilizer: Coralife 6x 18w
Controller: Apex GOLD

This is my FIRST real reef tank, I am open to constructive critique as I am always eager to learn an easier or more efficient way of doing things.

P.S. i will try to keep this as updated as possible and keep all pics on the first page so people dont have to go through pages and pages looking for the sweet pics.

I will try to make update the first page with pics and updates with details of my build.

I bought the tank and stand of craigslist and upon test filling I noticed a leak, thanks to Will Luttman for pointing me in the right direction, i have since repaired the de-laminated seam with weld-on 4 and weld-on 16 around all seams just to make sure. It was also scratched to hell. My brother (who is in the auto body industry) Brought home his mini 3" air buffer and DA sander, we proceeded to wet sand the inside and outside from 800 grit all the way up to 2000 grit, then used a 2 part buffing compound to finish it off. It took us about 5 hours but we got **** near every scratch out.

Sump was originally NOT designed for a refugium, i ordered a custom cut piece of Black acrylic and glued it into the sump as my 2nd wall of refugium.

Stand had some water damage in the inside, but i scraped off the affected (one) layer of laminate and repainted the inside with Rust-oleum White Appliance Epoxy, and let me tell you, anyone considering paint the inside of their stand, this stuff is amazing as i HIGHLY recommend it. My only suggestion is use the roll/brush on as the spray application leaves behind a lot of over spray resulting in a rough finish where as brushing it on, leaves a smooth, glass like finish that is SURE to resist water damage and salt residue should wipe right off! as of last night the stand was finished, I have to apply another coat inside the canopy.

View attachment 489
View attachment 490

SMACKERS4

how quick does the paint dry?
Depends on how thick of a coat you apply, not any longer than normal paint. The warmer the ambient temp, the quicker it dries, the colder the temp, the longer it takes. But it leaves an excellent, hard shell like finish that will resist water and clean easily. If you consider it, do NOT I repeat do NOT use the aerosol spray version, too much over-spray. use the brush on stuff, also, use in a well ventilated area or garage as this stuff packs quite the odor as it IS an epoxy.

RedDevil.258

Looks like a great build thread in the making! Will subscribe to this thread, I wanna see how it looks six months from now!

SMACKERS4

i was acclimating fish the day i took that pic, my tank area was a disaster, ill get it cleaned up and get a respectable pic up there!

SkullV

Good stuff man! Every time I see a Duncan colony now I just want to buy another one. Can't wait to see how the thing matures.

SMACKERS4

Good stuff man! Every time I see a Duncan colony now I just want to buy another one. Can't wait to see how the thing matures.
i love that thing, it was Isaac's fat as hell and happy as could be. That pic was from like a week after i put him in the tank, it's even more puffed up now. ill try and get a good pic tonight.