Some type of algae

Smitty

Premium member
Hello everyone, I need a little assistance...for the past two weeks, I've been pulling this unknown algae out my tank daily, it grows fast, and grows thick. It's individual stalks have fern/palm like leaves. It seems to be popping up more and more, and now around/within my corals. Aquatica told me it's a type of "good" macroalgae that they sell, and that I probably got it from them by accident. I can't seen to find much information online in it neither. So I need you all help to eradicate it before it gets out of hand.

BADGUS

I don't know the name of it,but it is good fuge macro-algea,it gets outta control super quick under CF lights,now if you have stronger lights,hold on,it will take over.My suggestion is to pull out the rock and SCRAPE OFF THE ROOTS.

Smitty

Premium member
Yeah, I have led's, so I'm doomed, lol...unfortunately I can't pull the rocks out that it's growing on, that's why I try to pull it out by the roots with tweezers daily. Are there any animals that will readily eat it? Thanks for your response bro. :)

sherrf1

Ive got the same thing happening on a rock in the middle of the tank. I cant get the rock out but Ive been pulling it with tweezers and even scrubbed areas with a toothbrush.

Smitty

Premium member
I think that's where I made my mistake at too, trying to brush it off with a toothbrush and probably spreaded the spores around the tank. I'm thinking of getting a lawnmower blenny to try to eliminate it.

Cubbies

I thought it was Bryo at first. I'm glad to hear it's a Macro as I have it on 2 frags. I scraped them and yea that thing grows pretty fast! Tagging on the post as I want to know exactly what it is too.

Smitty

Premium member
No wonder why my skimmer hasn't been skimming for the last 2 weeks, this stuff is stealing all the nutrients.

lunacris

I had it in nano. I thought it was hair algae when small. But it grew how u discribes. Nothing in the tank touched it however I did pluck it and it never grew back. I think I got lucky with first shot. It was growing in a half circle indentation on rock. Good luck.

Smitty

Premium member
I've had bryopsis before, and it didn't look like this...I think I rented a sea hare from aquatica to eliminate it. Thanks for the tip tho Eric.

Smitty

Premium member
Yeah, I don't think it's bryopsis, because my turbo snail mows thru it, as long as it's not too long for him. I've been controlling it lately by plucking it with tweezers daily. Looks like I need to invest in more snails.

bigt22005

that lawnmower will demolish it...mine eats any algae in my tank...hes about 3 inches and stomach hangs about a inch with food in it which is all the time...