SPS Color Help

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Originally what had happened was I had scraped off three walls of my 4'x2'x2' tank of coralline algae which kicked off a Dino or stringy brown snot algae bloom.

I tried a variety of things from active carbon filtering and also added Vibrant. Those in addition to a 3 day blackout knocked out whatever I had.

Now a few of my rainbow acros (a PC Rainbow and a no namer) as well as a smooth skin green acro with blue tips have lost their color. PC Rainbow is pale, other has darkened. Both lost their brilliant color.

I assumed this was from the stress of the blackout but tested anyway noting that my nitrates were the only item of major concern.

Also I do have an acro with has shown signs of STN from the bottom up on a few of the shaded branches. Doesn't seem to be progressing.

PAR is between 250-450 from sandbed to top of rockwork. ATI 6 bulb.

Current Params:
Alkalinity - 8-8.4 dkh
Calcium - 490
Magnesium - 1470
Nitrate - 0.5ppm
Phosphate 0.02 ppm

What are the suggestions? Is this from the algae and blackout and I'm being impatient??

Should I increase nitrates a little?

rako1

Premium member
Might be the change in the water chemistry from everything you have done to wipe out the algae. Do a couple water changes and maybe see what happens

madjoe

Premium member
Its from blackout mine all did same thing pc rainbow and all lost there nice gotta give em time to bounce back from it

labas39

[MENTION=1483]IHaveCrabs[/MENTION], Not saying this is the issue but how long have you had those PAR levels?

Last edited:

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
[MENTION=1483]IHaveCrabs[/MENTION], Not saying this is the issue but how long have you had those PAR levels?
Since the beginning of this tank. About a year or so I think. Have switched out bulbs already too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Well the one that was barely holding on stripped down to skeleton today during the tanks night time (reverse cycle).

Everything else is happy with polpys out. No clue.

labas39

Since the beginning of this tank. About a year or so I think. Have switched out bulbs already too.

Well, the RTN sucks.

I asked about the PAR reading because my acros paled out in high PAR, 300+. I only have a few acros that like the upper 200's, that's what mine is at the tip of the highest acro. Most are in about 200 PAR and some acros are as low as 150.

I'm a true believer that you can over cook an acro.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Well, the RTN sucks.

I asked about the PAR reading because my acros paled out in high PAR, 300+. I only have a few acros that like the upper 200's, that's what mine is at the tip of the highest acro. Most are in about 200 PAR and some acros are as low as 150.

I'm a true believer that you can over cook an acro.
Hmm interesting. I'll so some research and see. I haven't changed the lighting so I don't see that being an issue unless I ramped up too fast after the blackout.