sps dominant 40breeder lighting?

Dkipp7

So i have a 40breeder that is sps dominant. Right now im running a 36" 4bulb t5 w/ ATI bulbs. Front to back: blue +,purple +,aquablue special, blue+. I just acquired 2 250w metal halides. Would 2 250w halides be too much for a 40breeder? If so, could i run 150w bulbs instead of 250w? My question is, what would be better lights for color and growth the t5s or halides? I have good color and pretty good growth now with the t5s.

ColaAddict

Can't go wrong with either one. The 2x 250 watt might be overkill and give you bad heating issues. You can buy Reefbrites 175 watt hybrid halides fixture from @ R33FSWAGG3R awesome mix of halide and reefbrites LED.

Darienreefs7

My new system is going to be an sps dominated 40 breeder with an aquaticlife 4 bulb t5 and stunner strips to supplement. How did the ATI work for you?

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
So i have a 40breeder that is sps dominant. Right now im running a 36" 4bulb t5 w/ ATI bulbs. Front to back: blue +,purple +,aquablue special, blue+. I just acquired 2 250w metal halides. Would 2 250w halides be too much for a 40breeder? If so, could i run 150w bulbs instead of 250w? My question is, what would be better lights for color and growth the t5s or halides? I have good color and pretty good growth now with the t5s.
2x 250W halides would be overkill for a 40 breeder. To switch to 175w bulbs you would have to buy 175w ballasts as well. Keep in mind at that point you can get 2 entire fixtures for less than what it would cost you to buy ballasts and bulbs.

Dkipp7

Thanks for the input! It was just a thought since i just got the halides. Originally got them for my indoor sulcata tortoise enclosure, so looks like thats what they will be used for lol

Dkipp7

My new system is going to be an sps dominated 40 breeder with an aquaticlife 4 bulb t5 and stunner strips to supplement. How did the ATI work for you?
Running 4 ati bulbs is working great on the 40breeder. Id really like to get a dimmable 6 bulb and then itd be perfect i think. I get a little shadowing front and back with just 4 bulbs.

Top Water

T5s would be ideal but a 48 inch fixture to get away from the 39 watt 36 inches
I can't figer out the real need for an ATI fixture a cheaper ts uses the same bulbs
I have mh t5s and LEDs on different tanks I like the t5s the most but mh for a deep tank

Last edited:

ColaAddict

48" is too long for a 40 breeder.
ATI fixtures gives the optimum cooling and reflectors for maximum PAR and life for the bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Water

This is alway what it comes down to is how much money do you want to piss away.
QUOTE=ColaAddict;281797]48" is too long for a 40 breeder.
ATI fixtures gives the optimum cooling and reflectors for maximum PAR and life for the bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Dkipp7

Here is my tank as of today. Crappy odyssea 4 bulb t5, replaced both the ballasts with one from a 8 bulb tek fixture. ATI bulbs front to back: blue+,purple +,aquablue special, blue +.

Dkipp7

I thought my 40 breeder would have a ton of shadowing with a 4 bulb t5
I do have some shadowing on the front and backs of some corals depending on placement. Thats why id like a dimmable 6 bulb. I think a 36" 6 bulb at full power would be too much light thats why i want a dimmable.

Forgot to mention i also have a 24" 18w blue led strip mounted to the bottom of my t5 light.

edin0009

Hi I use to have 40b with 2X250 fixture and man it was great for growing corals! if you are looking to get MH I still have mine that come with bracket that fits perfect on a 40b and it is made for it ill give it to you for $100 or trade for corals let me know.
View attachment 7605

Last edited:

Dkipp7

Hi I use to have 40b with 2X250 fixture and man it was great for growing corals! if you are looking to get MH I still have mine that come with bracket that fits perfect on a 40b and it is made for it ill give it to you for $100 or trade for corals let me know.
View attachment 7605
do yo have any pics of the 40breeder with the halides on it?