sps in a biocube

epaulette2

i am getting a little frag of birdnest tonight i am curious if my biocubes PC lighting is enough for sps. let me know what you guys think. this will be our first shot at a real sps if we get it not sure if i want to do it without knowing if its good enough lighting.

Tgunz127

I had someone give me a piece of birdsnest a long time ago and it's still living in my biocube 29g.... Just brown lol

epaulette2

so would i be correct if i said you cant have healthy sps in a biocube without using a different light source than PCs?

FishBeard

I have a couple cheap acro frags in a 14 biocube, literally inches from the surface, with indirect flow from a 425 koralia nano, its my project tank now, and the frags are nothing special. Aside from losing a little vibrance, they still show good polyp extension. Just run a skimmer if possible and be faithful on your water changes, and don't expect a lot of vibrant color. I kept a thin branch ora green birdsnest in the tank before, and it grew like a weed in there just as much as it does now with my LED in the 60g tank.

Tgunz127

It wouldn't have been healthy in the garbage either....... But on the other hand .... Very little growth ..

epaulette2

so keep it near the top and it is possible to do sps without it turning brown? if i dont run a skimmer on my biocube yet should i start?

Tgunz127

Mine has crazy polyp extension too... Most likely cause it wants more light... I can send u a pic of mine thru email or text i can't figure out how to post pics from iPhone

FishBeard

In my tank, they don't have any crazier polyp extension than they do in a properly lit environment. Just not as much color as they should.

poidog

Birds nests are one of the least demanding SPS corals. I kept an ORA green birds nets in my nanocube, under PC lighting, before I upgraded to MH. It grew to the point I had to frag it and held it's color. I would say if you have a birds nest up top you'd be fine.

SkullV

Never ran a skimmer in my SPS nanocube either. Just Chemipure Elite, filter floss, and a weekly 10% water change.

Cubbies

Well I guess experience counts more. I wouldn't do it and never did in my BC but hey who am I to go against experience. GL Hope it works out for ya :thumb:

KiLaGo

I moved my birdnest from my BC 29 led lighting to a BC 14 with PC lighting. I bought a frag rack and keep it up near the top with some other SPS. I run Chemi-pure Elite, a refugium, and purigen in the BC 14. I actually seem to be getting good growth from all of my SPS which I was shocked by.

epaulette2

well i guess it is possible then. i was going to get a frag of birdsnest but instead we picked up a nice piece of trumpet coral and a rock full of bright orange zoas. but it is good to know that it is possible to have a sps in a biocube.