Stability in SPS Tank

Smitty

Premium member
I use reef crystals, and have no issues with my levels...I also stopped dosing since I've been using it.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I am prepared to buy a RO/DI but know nothing about them so am going to have to start doing some research. It seems like a much safer idea.
Absolutely. First, most LFS's are just mixing cheap salt for fo tanks. If you make your own rodi then you can use a salt that is made for reefs. Also, did you test the sg of the mixed water? Most lfs's mix sg low and no where near the 1.026 you would likely keep an sps tank at...

Tangency

Here is a comparison of synthetic salt make ups: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714505

If you have a lot of corraline algae and keep SPS, alkalinity levels can easily drop 1 or more points per day. In addition to your water change schedule you will also need to dose sodium bicarbonate additions daily to offset your tanks usage and slowly raise levels up to recommended levels. The less fluctuation of all your water parameters the more success you will have with SPS.

here is a comparison of synthetic salt make ups: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714505

if you have a lot of corraline algae and keep sps, alkalinity levels can easily drop 1 or more points per day. In addition to your water change schedule you will also need to dose sodium bicarbonate additions daily to offset your tanks usage and slowly raise levels up to recommended levels. The less fluctuation of all your water parameters the more success you will have with sps.
wow!!

jm23

I just bought some RC for the first time, but no way do I want my Alk at 13 going in. Can anyone confirm this number for me. I currently have been using Coralife and have been happy with it.

To the OP: Check your mag levels, you will have a hard time keeping Cal and Alk stable unless your mag is where it should be. I agree with what was said above. Make your own water and mix your own salt. Over time it will pay for itself and avoid the hassle/need to go to a LFS.

badazztealcobra

I just bought some RC for the first time, but no way do I want my Alk at 13 going in. Can anyone confirm this number for me. I currently have been using Coralife and have been happy with it.

To the OP: Check your mag levels, you will have a hard time keeping Cal and Alk stable unless your mag is where it should be. I agree with what was said above. Make your own water and mix your own salt. Over time it will pay for itself and avoid the hassle/need to go to a LFS.
Mix a batch and test it. Those numbers were from 2009, let alone the other factors like that batches can/will/usually do vary lot to lot, heck they can even vary in the bucket.

ALWAYS mix the salt up well before using some to make your SW and test.... I always test the first batch I make out of a bucket to get a general idea where I'm at so when I make a SW change I'll have a general idea where I'll end up.

DAS212

I appreciate all of the great responses guys. I called the LFS store and let them know about their water but that didn't really go anywhere. I am going to buy my own RO/DI and use reef crystals to start mixing my own salt. Hopefully with some large water changes and dosing I can bring my levels to normal.

My purchase list is

1.) BRS 5 Stage RO/DI ( http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-5-stage-plus-ro-di-system-75gpd.html)
2.) Reef Crystals Salt Mix 160gallon
3.) 600gph Koralia x2 for water circulation
4.) 55gal bin x2
5.) debating buying heaters

Also, I have heard mention of magnesium levels, according to my Red Sea test mine are at 1600.

Thanks again

- Dave

gig

I get my seachem reefsalt from dfs, free shipping makes it worthwhile and it's not that expensive to begin with (I buy the buckets)

badazztealcobra

Another thing that I do that people might think is a little crazy is if I'm going to try a new brand of salt I phase it in slowly.....

Say I'm using ReefSalt but want to switch to Reef Crystals. I'll make my next batch of salt with 75%RS and 25%RC, then 50/50, then 25/75, then completely over to Reef Crystals.....

There was even a time when I was using half Reef Salt and half Red Sea Coral Pro to get my numbers at a decent mix. Don't be afraid to try different salts and see how your tank responds. The best part though is that you're in control of it and not at the mercy of whatever the LFS mixed for you.

FlyinBryan

Yeah i mix my salts. RC are really good, but it didnt seem to have the staying power for me. Like it'd be exhausted in a week or so based on coral reaction. I started mixing it 50/50 with RS Coral Pro and my corals and clam love the change. Going in salt Sg 1.0255 - .026 alk 10 Ca 410 Mg 1300. I always add BRS Mg and Ca before water change to keep in line with what tank params currently are. I now have done a WC in 3 weeks and tank is doing great!!

DAS212

Is anyone willing too sell me some salt water? Like 10gallons of it? I need to do a water change to get levels back to normal and my RO/DI unit wont arrive until later next week. Pref someone who has a sps tank also...

ColaAddict

I can give you 10 gal of reef water if you want to take the drive to Northbrook. I can also lend you some alk liquid if you need it.

m.miller1547

Hey guys.. not to side track, but back to RC and alk for a second. I have tested RC salt at 14-16dhk. I mentioned this a while back in a thread, but it seems to work out. I've never tried anything besides RC. I dont supplement either. If I feed and neglect my biweekly water change my tanks not nearly as happy. I do actively tumble my 50gallonbags every once in a while. I also like to keep it dry. This can change results. Good buy on the rodi! Its quite easy to setup and maintain. I would never sell it.

DAS212

Hey guys.. not to side track, but back to RC and alk for a second. I have tested RC salt at 14-16dhk. I mentioned this a while back in a thread, but it seems to work out. I've never tried anything besides RC. I dont supplement either. If I feed and neglect my biweekly water change my tanks not nearly as happy. I do actively tumble my 50gallonbags every once in a while. I also like to keep it dry. This can change results. Good buy on the rodi! Its quite easy to setup and maintain. I would never sell it.
Thank you!! My dosing has brought my DKH to 8 and hopefully today I can push to 9. My tank is starting to look better but not at a small cost. I lost a Hawkins frag and a strawberry shortcake frag :(