Starfish piece? Worm? Photo included

LaniBaby

Anyone have any idea what this is? I came in today and it was stuck on the glass. Looks like a tiny piece of starfish but also seems a bit bristly. Was out on the glass after the lights being off for about a day and a half. (I ordered a light timer last week and between the post office being lazy and veteran's day, it never came. )

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Alana.

jcarlilesiu

Those starfish are always missing body parts. So long as the middle mouth exists, I think they can survive missing all but one points of the star.

It's a star in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC android on tapatalk

lunacris

that looks like one of those goofy stars that grow weird i have some in my tank and my harlequin is eating them like crazy forgot the name tho

LaniBaby

don't have any harlequin's, just a bunch of sexies. Seems to have a mouth there. From up close, kind of looks like a sand sifter. I wonder how he got in? Live rock, perhaps. I'll keep an eye. Anyone think I need to remove him?

Thanks!
A.

lunacris

ive read and talked to people who think they are a problem these lil guys seem to spread like crazy some think they eat corals so ive been told never had any issues they seem to be a non issue for me

FishBeard

Looks like a tiny version of my sand sifting starfish. Could have come in on anything, even hidden on a frag plug

LaniBaby

so i did a little research. Do you both mean "asterina stars?" I found both. The photos look pretty similar. A lot of people say they're not reef safe but a few people said if they're on the glass, they're probably just eating algae. I have a good amount of algae in there and he seems to be busy. I just don't want to get overrun with them. The little guy's cute, though, and I'd hate to just "off" him.

Scarlett778

Lol yeah sorry Lani, just fat fingered the name. We have a bunch also and it doesn't seem to harm any of our corals, but I too have heard they can be pests. Bob the Blue Jawed Trigger will eat those once in a while.

poidog

they multply like mad, but if you want a harlequin shrimp leave it and and have them multiply so you have a food source