Still learning....

Arthur

I'm asking you guys for advice. I have been reefing for almost 15 years. during that timeI went from 5 to 15 to 55 to 90 to 125 and now I downgraded to 40. I always quarantined Fishes. With corals sometimes quarantine, always dipp. I have been pretty lucky all those years. After my downgrade a year ago, tank was doing great but last couple months not really. I also was so busy at work, which didn't help. It is SPS dominated tank. I bought some Corals from fellow reefers and I think I introduced Parasites. I goes my dipp wasn't good enough and didn't kill them all. I lost all Montiporas and basically all my SPS are not happy, slowly dying. So I must have Montipora Nudis, Flat Worms or other bothering my Acros and others... . I was always so bad in recognizing them. Im sure thats the problem. My parameters are always stable and they have been always happy and growing in my big tank and also after move... My parameters. Salinity 0.026 PH 8.3 Alk. 8 Cal. 450 MG 1450 Nitrate 5 Phosfate 0.001 What should I do? Keep dipping them? What is the best dipp now? Predator Fishes to help ( Six Line Wrasse), other methods? I'm almost ready to give up on SPS now change it to Easier Corals but it is so sad to look at them now... Thanks for future advice. Art

jrpark22000

Premium member
While it can be difficult task, it still maybe easier to try and identify the pest. This will give you a better chance of finding a fix known to cure it, as compared to trying a wide spectrum cure which may not rid the tank of the nasty.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Definitely ID the pest first. You can dip a coral/colony but sometimes the eggs are not affected by the dip. In that case you'll have to keep dipping to kill new generations of your pest. I use Bayer for dipping; pay attention to the safety suggestions and rinse THOROUGHLY.

tinman

And reading your post fully i feel like there is something i the water(or not in the water) than a problem with pests ..

Unless you are reckless its really low chances that you got hit with pests for all kinds of corals .,

Whats your fish stocking like in the 40 ?

Sent from my iPhone

Sawdonkey

Premium member
And reading your post fully i feel like there is something i the water(or not in the water) than a problem with pests ..

Unless you are reckless its really low chances that you got hit with pests for all kinds of corals .,

Whats your fish stocking like in the 40 ?

Sent from my iPhone
I agree with this. I don't think there are pests that go after both Montis and acros. It's probably unlikely that you got two pears at once.

Arthur

Thanks guys. I did dipped couple SPS today in Bayer today. Belive it or not. This is part of my 10 years old Neon Green Birdsnest and Tenuis. Like I said I lost my Montes and now 50% SPS are not happy. I'll keep looking for answer. Didn't have problem with SPS for last few years....but that was in big tank....will see. I did tests today... nothing change... Stock list? 3 small designers Clownfish, Lawnmower Blenny, Bangaii Cardinal, Six Line Wrasse. Fire Shrimp. Snails and Crabs.View attachment 17544View attachment 17545View attachment 17545

Last edited:

ReeferRick

The times ive had sps slowly dying is when my Alk isnt being monitored and temp swings.
Also, with Sps ive had some start to die off when they arent getting enough current.Ive had some 4" colonies dying and turning white .Moved them where they get more flow and they quickly bounced back.

Just some ideas

Smitty

Premium member
I'd look into the alk and/or the temp. It's hot outside now, and lots of tanks have temp fluctuations that can really affect sps's.