Stingray?

greenninja19

Has any one on this forum ever kept or currently has a Cortez stingray or a bluespotted stingray if so. I would like to know what kind of experience you have had with them, and what size tank they were in. Thanks in advanced guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

luckyme0670

I had one for alittle in my 70 shallow. But as soon as I started to fill it up alittle I got rid of them .. need a lot of sand. Mine use to love wrapping around my power head.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

greenninja19

I had one for alittle in my 70 shallow. But as soon as I started to fill it up alittle I got rid of them .. need a lot of sand. Mine use to love wrapping around my power head.

What kind ray was it

greenninja19

I have a 220 im filling up tonight after it cycles im really considering getting a stingray that will go in that tank with my miniatus grouper and my Snowflake eel

Greg

Even the smallest round stingrays need an 8x2 footprint tank, but they will outgrow that and need larger. Blue spots need even larger.

greenninja19

Even the smallest round stingrays need an 8x2 footprint tank, but they will outgrow that and need larger. Blue spots need even larger.
I have read a lot of different things there seems to be a lot of contradiction between whats I have read

Pufferpunk

Just keep asking until somebody tells you what you want to hear, even if it's not the best thing for the fish.

jm23

Just keep asking until somebody tells you what you want to hear, even if it's not the best thing for the fish.
What Jeni is saying is quite common practice on these forums. If you ask long enough you will find someone who keeps 6+ tangs in a nano cube...

luckyme0670

Jeni thats funny ...

I had him in a 48" x 24" tank.. had him for like 3months ... I didn't plan to keep.. just wanted to have a stingray lol. I ended up selling to someone that had a huge setup..its not about how big the tank is persay .. but the smaller the tank the shortest you'll have him...

greenninja19

What Jeni is saying is quite common practice on these forums. If you ask long enough you will find someone who keeps 6+ tangs in a nano cube...
I see what u are say but Greg said u would need a foot print of 8x2 which mite be wrong mite be right if u go on liveaquaria.com u only need a 150 for a blue spotted ray and a 180 for a Cortez ray which mite be right mite be wrong I don't know which is right thats why I asked the ? Instead of pufferpunk being negative about the thread she should post something helpful isn't that the point of creating a thread to pick other people's brains for the right info

greenninja19

Like I said there is a lot of info out there its really hard to decipher what is the right info and what is wrong

Pufferpunk

LA is in the business of selling fish. I have written them on their puffer fish minimum tank requirements & they changed them.

kratos1028

I had a small cortez about 6" in diameter in a 6' 125 gallon. Even at that size, I still felt it was kind of the big for the tank. They aren't like normal fish that are about 1-3" width so a 6" diameter felt too big for that size tank to me. I think a small round pool would be better for a ray then something that is a race track kind of tank which are perfect for tangs.

Greg

I see what u are say but Greg said u would need a foot print of 8x2 which mite be wrong mite be right if u go on liveaquaria.com u only need a 150 for a blue spotted ray and a 180 for a Cortez ray which mite be right mite be wrong I don't know which is right thats why I asked the ? Instead of pufferpunk being negative about the thread she should post something helpful isn't that the point of creating a thread to pick other people's brains for the right info

Those are likely the minimum requirements for the tiniest of stingrays they sell. As soon as it grows a couple months, you cant go with the minimum value anymore. (Why people consider doing the absolute minimum to begin with, I don't really get.)

Even if you go by their minimum values, you can have a 180g thats (LxWxH) 12ft x 2ft x 1ft, or 8ft x 3ft x 1ft, etc. You can definitely keep a coupe rays happy in those tanks!
You cant go with a column tank that has a 1ft x 2ft footprint thats 12ft high and say: see 180g, I can keep multiple stingrays!
Its about the footprint, not the volume. Im sure 220g is enough water volume for the rays. Thats not the issue.
If your 220g is 15ft x 2ft x 1ft, or maybe 10ft x 3ft x1ft, then by all means get them!
Otherwise, I believe you should not get them.

As others stated previously, people usually look until they find one person who tells them what they want to hear, and ignore everyone who spoke against it.

I would LOVE to have a couple small round cali/cortez rays, but I just don't have the tank they need. The animal's needs comes before my wants. Me and my conscience could be completely wrong, but Ive seen animals in small tanks and I felt horrible. I am more 'extreme' than most people about tank sizes.
For many people, their wants come before the animal's needs. Its my money, I can do with it what I want attitude (sometimes its not an attitude, they literally say it).

No one is going to stop from buying them, you can do whatever you wish. People have done much worse than a small round stingray in a 220, but that doesn't make it ok. If the tank was 90% sandbed, and at least 6ft x 2ft footprint. It wouldn't be HORRIBLE to get a tiny round ray. I definitely wouldn't recommend it, but it wouldn't be that horrible, as long as you were upgrading in the future to a larger footprint...

greenninja19

Thanks for all the help guys. From everything that guys have told me the foot print of my 220 is just to small. I really have no interest in getting a large tank the 220 sucked enough to get in the basement so I will scrap that idea. On the bright side. Not getting a ray does open a very large door to different species of fish such as angels, triggers, puffers im sure there is something that im missing.

soggy pocktets

I kept several California rays for 2 yrs..got them very small and tank was 8x3 footprint. One of the issues with rays is that you are limited to the types of fish you can put with them as they are easy targets to be picked on/picked at. Angels, triggers, etc like picking at the rays eyes:(

For what it's worth, I think you are doing the right thing by passing on them.