stocking a 75 gallon

WeePee

anyone care to help me generate ideas of how to stock my soon to be completed 75 gallon mixed reef?

so far im thinking:
fish:
2 clowns
1 fox faced rabbit fish
4-6 blue chromis

inverts:
2 scarlet cleaner shrimp
1 BTA anemone
1 red/orange sea star
various snails, crabs, and cleaners

corals:
softies, ricordias, zoas, pallys, LPS, and SPS
basically i want it all, but planning to start slow and work up.

so basically feel free to post some ideas to help me decide what to stock in my 75g mixed reef.

Smitty

Premium member
You should get one of the smaller genus tangs(yellow,purple, sailfin,etc). Some sort of center piece reef safe fish that'll stay out majority of the time.

SaylorsReef

Please wait 6 months - 1 year, before adding an anemone.
I agree with Jeni! Actually I'd wait more like 9 - 12 months. They need a mature, stable environment. Your tank will be going through too many changes the first year. Spend the first 9 - 12 months learning as much as you can.

If you have any questions regarding anemones, let me know.

Good luck with your new setup!

WeePee

I agree with Jeni! Actually I'd wait more like 9 - 12 months. They need a mature, stable environment. Your tank will be going through too many changes the first year. Spend the first 9 - 12 months learning as much as you can.

If you have any questions regarding anemones, let me know.

Good luck with your new setup!
this is not my first tank.

thanks tho.

Pufferpunk

What we're trying to say is, anemones don't belong in newer tanks. Best to wait until it's established & stable for close to a year.

SaylorsReef

yes but i coulda sworn i said or at least insinuated that i wasn't going to stock it all at once. maybe not clear enough though.
Jeni and I don't know your experience in the hobby. Just making sure you were aware, along with others that may be reading this. We all know there are some LFS that will sell you anything and everything to make a buck!

Can't wait to see your tank pics as it matures!

Smitty

Premium member
Jeni and I don't know your experience in the hobby. Just making sure you were aware, along with others that may be reading this. We all know there are some LFS that will sell you anything and everything to make a buck!

Can't wait to see your tank pics as it matures!
I agree with Brenda...everyone is just having each others back. :)

1boatnut

Your list sounds good.

Not sure if your aware though that Foxface's,unless very well fed, may nip and eat soft corals & LPS.

Maybe think about adding some firefish or some Cardinals.
I love the way Cardinals seem to just suspend themselves

Also I've always wanted to add some Blue Chromis with my Blue/Green reef Chromis. I normally don't see them to often @ my local LFS though.

Another fish I like is the Yellow Clown Goby.
I had one for years, and just a few weeks ago it went missing:(
It was always out,riding the current,or resting on a coral.
Very entertaining little fish

Since you already have experience,picking out a list is always a good idea. Although we as hobbyists are always changing our minds,at least with a list you then know what order to stock your tank with.

Good luck

Pufferpunk

Absolutely NO horseshoe crab!!! Those are one of those creatures that are best left in the ocean. All they eat are tiny creatures in the sand bed & need a 20'x20' sand bed to supply enough food to sustain them.