Stray voltage

Joe5688

So I've been dealing with stray voltage for quite a while lol. I notice it only when I'm reaching hands into the tank (obviously) but the problem is I cant locate the issue.

I have 36 volts constant with my tank running. If I turn my apex off (and all of it's functions) it goes up to 40 volts. If I unplug everything I still have 36 volts. The only things I have that have power not in my sump are my leds and my Mp40 and mp10. The leds are hung on the canopy and the MP's are magnetic so they cant be giving me voltage. Anyone have any ideas how I can have voltage in my tank if everything is off? lol

rockhead

I hade the same problem with my T5 retrofit introducing stray voltage to my tank but only had 25 volts I put a ground probe and have not had a issue since. 0 volts in the tank.

lunacris

i have heard of leds putting stray voltage in tank . use simple process of elimination till u find it . possible the led unit is the chord touching back of tank ?

SkullV

This is a common thing with all types of lighting but most prevalent with 3w+ LED chips. Grounding probe will get you to 0 but make sure never ever to use a grounding probe without a GFCI. That's a good way to kill yourself, then your soon to be wife would be upset with us.