Suggestions for a 40g breeder frag tank.

rowdie

I'm looking the setup a 40g breeder frag tank to grow out SPS/LPS/zoas/acans and was looking for suggestions on equipment. I already have a tunze 9002 skimmer that I plan to use on the tank. My question is about lighting and water movement. Would one mp10 provide enough water movement for the corals and what type of light should I go with to provide growth to all varieties of coral. I am leaning towards LEDs, can I get suggestions on something that will do a great job for my needs without destroying my wallet.

sparky5785

I'm looking the setup a 40g breeder frag tank to grow out SPS/LPS/zoas/acans and was looking for suggestions on equipment. I already have a tunze 9002 skimmer that I plan to use on the tank. My question is about lighting and water movement. Would one mp10 provide enough water movement for the corals and what type of light should I go with to provide growth to all varieties of coral. I am leaning towards LEDs, can I get suggestions on something that will do a great job for my needs without destroying my wallet.
Yes i believe one MP10 would work for you. Here is a link to ecotechs flow calculator. http://ecotechmarine.com/calculator/
If you feel the far side from the mp10 isnt getting enough you could supplement it with a small inexpesive powerhead.

As for lighting a good inexpensive option that would be more than enough for all types of corals would be CoralCompulsions cc-120 dimmable led light. Here is a link to it. http://coralcompulsion.com/led/led-120w-full

frostyjay1

MP 10 will work fore flow, as for lighting, I would strongly suggest the cc-120 from coral compulsion. Its full spectrum LED, and an awesome light

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

reeferlover

I have a 250watt mh on mine which frosty is taking the tank. I'll have the mh if u want to try it I think u will be happy. It had amazing coverage and its a lot of light.

rowdie

What is the reason that you only like the Mp40? Just the amount of water movement or is it the noise issue that MP10's seem to get.

Sorry reeflover, I can't go with MHs, too much heat for my apartment with crappy in wall only ac units. Thanks for the offer though.

After looking into it the cc-120 from coral compulsion seems like it's exactly what I was looking. Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg

Its good on most tank sizes so if you upgrade you can still use it. Wider flow.

Plus i mainly use acrylic, so there are few tanks thin enough for a MP10 (if built right). :)

fit

Did you see these options for lighting?
http://www.reefbreeders.com/bridgelux_value.html

and the group buy that is happening right now
http://www.chicagoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?12428-another-SWEET-LED-Group-Buy
I think the d120 is very similiar to the options presented so far in this thread, and the IT2040 is an upgrade in terms of automatic progammbility. I believe the others are manual controll only. Just to be clear, there are other differences between the d120 and the IT2040, notibly a much better heat sink so it's possible the IT2040 is being driven slightly more than the d120. I don't have data on whether one is brighter than the other, but you could ask on that thread and I am sure they can answer that.

You may want to look at the IT2060 for your particular tank on that group buy. It is bigger and also includes programmability.

mlreef

I'd go MP40 you can always use it later for a larger build. As far as LEDs it really comes down to your budget. I would almost go DIY.

fit

Here is another really exciting idea
http://www.chicagoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?12370-Full-spectrum-cannon-idea
A multichip has the different colors very close to one another so you should get little to none disco or colored spotlight effect through the rocks and corals. Till now I have not seen a multichip with different colors and chanels. I am not sure you can pick your own colors though, but theose chosen for you seem pretty good but I am not very knowlegable about that.

rowdie

I acutally went ahead and joined the group led buy that fit suggested and got an IT2060. Thank you for the suggetion. Another question i have is do i need a sump or will my tunze 9002 do enough filtration for me. I plan to have nothing in the tank besides corals and maybe 1 fish.

Cubbies

Another point I wold like to point out is. You are basically making a frag tank to grow anything. SPS will love the flow and some things wont. Acans like lower lighting and flow from my experience and so does most of LPS. Some Zs and Ps can tolerate it but not all of them will. Also the SPS will obviously love the high light but again some things will hate it. I would recommend if you are growing out to dedicate it to something in particular, SPS, LPS, etc. and make that particular coral happy.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Another point I wold like to point out is. You are basically making a frag tank to grow anything. SPS will love the flow and some things wont. Acans like lower lighting and flow from my experience and so does most of LPS. Some Zs and Ps can tolerate it but not all of them will. Also the SPS will obviously love the high light but again some things will hate it. I would recommend if you are growing out to dedicate it to something in particular, SPS, LPS, etc. and make that particular coral happy.
+1

Here is a pic of a 40B frag tank..