Sump set up question

RJDENNIS

I am close to setting my 75G system up and have questions on setting up my Aqueon Proflex Sump up.
First off the Sump came with the Flex pipe drain line. However it is extremely long. When I dry fit the sump I have about a 1 foot section of extra hose that has to be dropped down the outside of the sump before it connects to the drain line in the overflow box.

1st question: why do they make them so darn long? Is there a reason behind it? I have tried to find shorter length hose but have had no luck.

2nd question: I see quite a few people who plumb their systems with PVC, I would like to go this route to clean up the look somewhat under my stand and to help eliminate the extra flex line if you understand what I'm saying. When using PVC do you have any issues taking it apart to do maintenance on the sump?. Do you add check valves and ball valves to your set up and where should they go?

Sorry to sound stupid but I really want this set up to be noise free and flaw free and be able to dissassemble it without issues if need be.

fwadiver

use unions to be able to take it apart, ball valves can be usefull if u need to shut off sections, I usually put a gate valve and a check valve in the return and plump the drain straight pvc to union, spaflex to sump.