T5 to LED back to T5

Looking for anybody's experience switching from T5 to LED back to T5. I have seen tons of threads about people swaping back and forth but nobody comments on the switch back to T5 other then the initial observations after the switch. I'm wondering if anybody here has done the switch back to T5s a while ago and is willing to describe changes if any. I'm assuming that after most people switch back to T5s their experience mirror that before the switch to LEDS

Sorry if this sounds like a mad rambling been a long day.

Jack

Last edited:

madjoe

Premium member
That i did . T5 ftw . I started with 8 bulb t5 cheap azz fixture odyessa then joined the led hype played with those for few yes some corals looked great some not so much went back to t5 6 bulb fixture ati and coral colors r best they ever been i did add two kessel 150 ocean blues for shimmer

I have 2 DIY reeflightsled fixture now. Hasn't done be wrong by any means it. It was great for my 75 which was in the basement. I have a 120 now and some rock shelf magnets and I just need the dispersion that a T5 gives. The tank is also upstairs and two dedicated breakers so the heat and energy efficiency benefits of a LED are not required. I'm just not looking forward to buying bulbs or the noisy POS fans on an ATI fixture

madjoe

Premium member
I have 2 DIY reeflightsled fixture now. Hasn't done be wrong by any means it. It was great for my 75 which was in the basement. I have a 120 now and some rock shelf magnets and I just need the dispersion that a T5 gives. The tank is also upstairs and two dedicated breakers so the heat and energy efficiency benefits of a LED are not required. I'm just not looking forward to buying bulbs or the noisy POS fans on an ATI fixture
Yea the fans r definitly loud as hell lol

Tank2379

T-5 with Reef brites have become a solid option with keeping LED's and T-5's. I like the option of Kessils also.

SkullV

Yea the fans r definitly loud as hell lol
In the past I have replaced the fans in the ATI fixtures with NB fans. They are virtually silent and can be had all the way down to 6db. The ATI fans are 60mm and I believe any fan up to a 25mm depth will fit (but don't quote me on it). It will also quiet them down if you use a neoprene washer between the fan mounting plate and light body.

This is the fan I would use personally if I was replacing an ATI fan:

http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/products/noiseblocker-it-fans/nb-blacksilentfan-series/60x60x25mm.php

Last edited: