Taíno 2.0

CienFuegos

Premium member
Earlier this year My 40B crashed and it killed me because I was finally able to keep and grow SPS corals.. well some time has passed now and I'm wanting to start up a new tank. Taíno 2.0 will be a mixed reef thank so I'd like to have both SPS and softies in the tank.

Below is what I'm looking to setup and any suggestions are appreciated.

40 Breeder Drilled (picked one up from a fellow reefer here)

Current USA T5s (Still looking incorporating LEDs into them)
1 MP10wES
Heater
Tunze 1703.02 return pump
Eshopp sump
20 gallon QT tank
Reef Octopus INT-110
aqua controler
HD fuge light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

maidia

Team CR
Looking good and welcome back to this reef game, Ed.

- Led, T5 will be all fine.
- Eheim Return Pump.
- Skimmer what ever it work - no need expensive skimmer.
- Fuge light ---> Menard or Home Depot still work for me.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Lights: I got my LEDs from SBReeflights last time and I like them a lot.
Fuge: I have a camp light ($6) with a 5000k CFL bulb (4 for $4?) in it.
Powerheads: I'm a firm believer in Ecotech MP pumps.
Controller: I use plain outlet timers.
Heater: I don't think the brand matters just have a good controller for it. I built a digital one for about $30.
Skimmer: I have a AquaC Remora (HOB - fair condition) that I could give to you but it needs a pump.

CienFuegos

Premium member
Looking good and welcome back to this reef game, Ed.

- Led, T5 will be all fine.
- Eheim Return Pump.
- Skimmer what ever it work - no need expensive skimmer.
- Fuge light ---> Menard or Home Depot still work for me.
Thanks Mia!

I had the AI SOLs before and really liked them so I might be leaning that way again...

Thinking the eheim 1260
Already had the skimmer so now worries there.

Yes, will try that

CienFuegos

Premium member
Lights: I got my LEDs from SBReeflights last time and I like them a lot.
Fuge: I have a camp light ($6) with a 5000k CFL bulb (4 for $4?) in it.
Powerheads: I'm a firm believer in Ecotech MP pumps.
Controller: I use plain outlet timers.
Heater: I don't think the brand matters just have a good controller for it. I built a digital one for about $30.
Skimmer: I have a AquaC Remora (HOB - fair condition) that I could give to you but it needs a pump.
Vic!!!!

I'll check those guys out for LEDs
I'd like to give the echotech pumps a try so we'll if I can find a used one for a good price

Illinijoe

TeamCR
welcome back!

would recommend getting a backup heater especially since you have an apex. Seen a few tank crash from the heater going out. Looking forward to seeing it filled up!

CienFuegos

Premium member
Thinking of getting 2 MP10s or for this tank.. That's if I can find a good deal on them.. I've also been reading that one MP40 would do the trick but afraid of any dead spots. I guess another option would be the gyre

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Thinking of getting 2 MP10s or for this tank.. That's if I can find a good deal on them.. I've also been reading that one MP40 would do the trick but afraid of any dead spots. I guess another option would be the gyre
You could use one MP40 and then also split your return loc-line into two nozzles for more coverage.

CienFuegos

Premium member
Very interesting.... This makes me think about the return pump... I was thinking of the Eheim 1250, but wondering if I should consider the 1260 or more gph basically because of the flow and how it would split two ways back in...

Illinijoe

TeamCR
Very interesting.... This makes me think about the return pump... I was thinking of the Eheim 1250, but wondering if I should consider the 1260 or more gph basically because of the flow and how it would split two ways back in...
i started using a DC pump on my BC29 i love it so much easier to control.

CienFuegos

Premium member
Update...

Thinking of changing the overflow on the drilled 40 breeder I've acquired.
Looking at Kessil, AI, Radion LEDs but also still kicking the idea around of some type of hybird)
With regards to water flow, I have one 1 MP10wES pending and thanks to Vic and Illinijoe, thinking about going with the Eheim 1260 and splinting the return. Doing this because of cos and also just to test this setup out. But if in time I feel that I need to add another MP10 I will.
Still have to get a sump
As for the light on the fuge, as many reefers have reminded me, I can go down the HD route, which I have and still have the fixture and bulb so I'll be using that.

Codeman28

I ran a kessil 360we on my 60 cube, and was getting ready to pick up a radion before I broke down my tank. I would for sure take a closer look at the radion lights..

CienFuegos

Premium member
I ran a kessil 360we on my 60 cube, and was getting ready to pick up a radion before I broke down my tank. I would for sure take a closer look at the radion lights..
Bad experience with the kessil??

Codeman28

No never had a bad experience with the light, I liked the color and the controllability (with the spectral controller). It had a great light spread for my tank 24x24. But I was looking into radion due to be able to upgrade the puck, when new ones came out.