Tang being a pain in the Wrasse

Hello. Just added a new Flasher Wrasse yesterday. He’s been out a few times to eat, but every time he comes out, my Hippo goes at him. I don’t know if this is just pecking order or if there is some compatibility issue. Didn’t think Hippos were suppose to be aggressive to wrasse. I have a clown, foxface, diamond goby, blenny, ruby red dragonet. He has no issues with them. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

It’s probably not what you want to hear, but I have a Hippo banished to the sump right now after taking apart a new mandarin. We watched it happen , but there really wasn’t anything we could do, that is just an insanely fast fish.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
It might be ok after a few days. My triggerfish are really hard on new additions, but after a couple of days, the aggression usually subside.

My blue tang is pretty peaceful, but it’s with some very aggressive fish.

Any ideas on how to bring the aggression down? Would like to keep both and surprised the tang is hitting the wrasse. Could it be a pecking order thing?

fishyfish22

Premium member
It’s probably not what you want to hear, but I have a Hippo banished to the sump right now after taking apart a new mandarin. We watched it happen , but there really wasn’t anything we could do, that is just an insanely fast fish.
That actually sounds kind of traumatic...

babbyk

Premium member
How did you add the wrasse? Were the lights off ? Did you add food after you added the wrasse? I would get a quarantine box, or use some egg crate to divide the tank. Quarantine the hippo for a couple of weeks, let the wrasse get confident in it's new surroundings.

I added him at night. I’m thinking that’s what I’m going to have to do. QT the hippo. Going to give it another day or so.

I did read somewhere that tangs don’t forget and once they hate a fish they hate them. Have you personally had success with QT of an aggressive fish?

That actually sounds kind of traumatic...
It was. I truly hope the OP has better luck and things go better than our situation. Amazingly the Hippo never had more than 30 seconds of an issue with any other fish added through the years. I spent more on the trap to remove the fish than on the fish itself, so mistakes can be costly. On a lighter note, she is spending her days in a fudge packed with macro algae, which is like putting a kid in a candy shop.

How did you add the wrasse? Were the lights off ? Did you add food after you added the wrasse? I would get a quarantine box, or use some egg crate to divide the tank. Quarantine the hippo for a couple of weeks, let the wrasse get confident in it's new surroundings.
added him at night. I’m thinking that’s what I’m going to have to do. QT the hippo. Going to give it another day or so.

#theMatrix

I believe the fish smell the different water in the new additions and that's why they attack. When I had my Aussie tusk. And added a Benny it bit it in the middle of the body like food ...then slammed it on the rockword. Then I grabbed the Benny and sumped it. It was my fault. I forgot about the water smell. After it was in the sump for couple days I placed it in the display and the tusk went to get a feel for it and it's like it could smell it had the same water scent.

Let a new additions to a tank sit somewhere in the sump to clear out foreign water. fish trap box work also.

carpetreef75

Premium member
I believe the fish smell the different water in the new additions and that's why they attack. When I had my Aussie tusk. And added a Benny it bit it in the middle of the body like food ...then slammed it on the rockword. Then I grabbed the Benny and sumped it. It was my fault. I forgot about the water smell. After it was in the sump for couple days I placed it in the display and the tusk went to get a feel for it and it's like it could smell it had the same water scent.

Let a new additions to a tank sit somewhere in the sump to clear out foreign water. fish trap box work also.
So your saying you dump the water in your tank your new fish come with ???? that's a no no

Pawel

Premium member
When my yellow tang was bullying my new fish I used mirror on one side of the tank. 80-90% he was spending next to the mirror trying to kick his own butt. After one day he got scared of himself and was hiding on the back. Now all the fish in my tank get along.

I’ll try that when I add the hippo back in. Maybe that’ll throw him off as well as my new additions and the change in rock work.