Tank crashing. Sigh

ninjamyst

Premium member
My Red Sea Reefer 350 is crashing. I been battling GHA and dino for months since a month long trip to Thailand left my tank in really bad shape. I started Dino X 2 weeks ago and it wasn't doing much to my tank except brown out my SPS. 2 days ago, I stopped dosing it since it wasn't working and did a 10% water change. I manually removed as much GHA and dino as I can. The next day, most of my acro RTN. LPS are looking really bad. Every morning, more SPS RTN. Sigh. I am doing another 10% water change now but lost over $1,000 in corals already. All my parameters check out. I wonder if I stir things up too much with my water change or this was just eventually what will happen with dosing Dino X.

Tank before:
View attachment 24214

Tank now:
View attachment 24215
View attachment 24216
View attachment 24217
View attachment 24218
View attachment 24219

tinman

Things like Dinox ..chemiclean .say they only target what they are advertised for but behind the scenes they kinda take care of almost all nutrients in the tank .. and going from nutrient rich water to no nutrients and then back to some what nutrients ... sps dont take it easy on them ..

ninjamyst

Premium member
GHA actually got WORST after dosing Dino X. So I am not sure if it's really removing all the nutrients....

carpetreef75

Premium member
My Red Sea Reefer 350 is crashing. I been battling GHA and dino for months since a month long trip to Thailand left my tank in really bad shape. I started Dino X 2 weeks ago and it wasn't doing much to my tank except brown out my SPS. 2 days ago, I stopped dosing it since it wasn't working and did a 10% water change. I manually removed as much GHA and dino as I can. The next day, most of my acro RTN. LPS are looking really bad. Every morning, more SPS RTN. Sigh. I am doing another 10% water change now but lost over $1,000 in corals already. All my parameters check out. I wonder if I stir things up too much with my water change or this was just eventually what will happen with dosing Dino X.

Tank before:
View attachment 24214

Tank now:
View attachment 24215
View attachment 24216
View attachment 24217
View attachment 24218
View attachment 24219

Bummer , sorry to hear/see that ..Hope you can get a handle on it and it doesn't get the best of you
Bryan

Smitty

Premium member
I'm sorry to hear about your tank. That truly sucks

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Gav

I know you stated your water tests out but what's the TDS coming out of your RO unit and your tank alk? I've had huge problems with TDS and alk causing GHA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ninjamyst

Premium member
I know you stated your water tests out but what's the TDS coming out of your RO unit and your tank alk? I've had huge problems with TDS and alk causing GHA.

RODI is 0-5 TDS, even with new filters and RO membrane. Alk is 8.5 - 9.

- - - Updated - - -

I used Flunco 200 and it worked no more GHA or any other algae.Sorry to hear about your tank @ninjamyist :-(
I tried using Flunco too. It works great for my nano but didn't do much for this tank. It only pissed off my BTA to the point that it lost most of its color and started floating around the tank. I may try it again but will have to purchase more. I also want to let the tank just rest a little without adding more chemical to it.

100LL

Sucks hearing about this man... Really wish I could offer some sort of help or guidance.

ninjamyst

Premium member
Really wish I can give out some of my surviving corals but wouldn't want anyone to get dino. Going to just keep on doing water changes till things get better.

ultimatemj

1) Cut your lights back and get a bacteria (Dr Tims, Nitrobactr, Fritzyme, Stability, etc) going.
2) Siphon dinos twice a day...stay on it.
3) If you don't have GAC, get some going
4) If you don't have any macro algae, get some chaeto going
5) Set up a 20g Quarantine tank up with a sponge filter (seeded from anyone you know's fuge)...put frags of your favorites in here...change 5g water and add bacteria every 3days

Good luck!

Gav

And obviously this TDS IS while the ro unit is filling? I only ask the obvious because I made that mistake before.

- - - Updated - - -

conchman

Premium member
Sucks...just to clarify, new filters and RO membrane, new resin? My unit with new resin runs 0.00.

Good luck...

ninjamyst

Premium member

And obviously this TDS IS while the ro unit is filling? I only ask the obvious because I made that mistake before.

- - - Updated - - -

yup, I tested it straight out of RODI unit

- - - Updated - - -

Sucks...just to clarify, new filters and RO membrane, new resin? My unit with new resin runs 0.00.

Good luck...
yup, i am about to change them all again even though it's been only a month since I changed them.