Tank cycled in 5 days?

Is it possible for tank to cycle in a week?

• Yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Cubano32

Premium member
So I went to two LFS to get my water tested and both places said my water was great and good to go. But can my tank really be done cycleling in only five days. Either there right or both have some bad water testing kits. Any imput guys

Doubt it. Unless you started it out with live rock from another established system. We all would also need more info on how you started to cycle the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cubano32

Premium member
Doubt it. Unless you started it out with live rock from another established system. We all would also need more info on how you started to cycle the tank?

Well I got the LR from a guy on Craigslist who had it in his office tank that he was taking down. Got 30lbs then got 40lbs of live sand Fiji pink. And last also I added a bottle of bio Spira the guy at my LFS said he swears by it so I gave it a shot. The LR that I ended up getting had two red mushroom corals that I saw when I was doing my aquascape. They were shriveled up at first but now have looked like they are growing

I'm not going to say it's impossible, but I'd keep an eye out on the parameters for at least another week or two. Invest in a good test kit for yourself, you'll need it.

Cubano32

Premium member
I'm not going to say it's impossible, but I'd keep an eye out on the parameters for at least another week or two. Invest in a good test kit for yourself, you'll need it.

OK will do was planning on waiting another week anyways. Any suggestions on good test kits

fredfish13

I would use your test kits. I think use API. Test for ammonia nitrites and nitrates. When ammonia and nitrites are 0, your cycled. Do a big WC and add fish and corals slowly over time.

fredfish13

Like they said before, you have to have a source of ammonia to feed the bacteria to keep it going.

Invest in a Red Sea coral test kits. It is expensive but it's cheap insurance compare to the amount of cash we pour into our tank.lol

jeffy

As long as you check the levels every single day morning and night you should be OK. However I would've went with a damsel an not croms.

AForys

chromis are damsels, but why use let's say a blue velvet over chromis? I've read green/blue chromis are good cycling fish and not so aggressive to have to remove them after cycle.

AForys

nevertheless, I used 3 chromis in my existing tank that I've had for about 6 month's. These guys never turned on each other, very active swimmer's and that helps other skittish fish to come out as well.

Cubano32

Premium member
nevertheless, I used 3 chromis in my existing tank that I've had for about 6 month's. These guys never turned on each other, very active swimmer's and that helps other skittish fish to come out as well.
I no longer have this tank took it down got bigger tank.. Every fish is different and although yours never turned on each other mine did and also beat up every other fish I put in there

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

AForys

the chromis, really? their one of the most peaceful damsels. the only bad thing I ever heard about them was they turn on each other. but yes you are correct not all fish/tanks are the same, as goes for humans.