Tank in front of HVAC intake vent?

enzo1028

Premium member
I am about to start my build and I’m trying to decide on a location for the new tank. The spot I want the tank in my basement has the main HVAC intake vent for the basement.

I can imagine this will cause higher levels of evaporation. What other issues might this cause? I saw an air deflector on amazon, do you think that would take care of any potential issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carpetreef75

Premium member
Mine is same as yours and right in front of return duct and don't have a problem , i do have humidiers on the furnaces that kick on when furnace runs that may help some . go for it
Bryan

Kamsreef

I had mine infront of the intake and the cover rusted within a year also my allergies were bad but thats just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

enzo1028

Premium member
I had mine infront of the intake and the cover rusted within a year also my allergies were bad but thats just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have pretty bad allergies so I have to stay on top of the filters getting changed in my house. I’m just hoping this doesn’t mess with airflow in the house. I may get that air deflector regardless.

enzo1028

Premium member
Mine is same as yours and right in front of return duct and don't have a problem , i do have humidiers on the furnaces that kick on when furnace runs that may help some . go for it
Bryan
I have a humidifier as well, do you experience a lot of evaporation?

carpetreef75

Premium member
I have a humidifier as well, do you experience a lot of evaporation?

Nope i believe the humidifiers do there job and i have 5/8" plastic over the tank but sumps are open .... +1 on the rusty vent didn't take long , have a buddy in Seneca who did same thing but he sealed off the vent behind tank with plastic/duct tape opened up the one in front room behind couch double and picked up a larger vent cover from Menards

jrwoltman

With that being a cold air return, personally I would be concerned that over time you would experience corrosion in the furnace.

enzo1028

Premium member
With that being a cold air return, personally I would be concerned that over time you would experience corrosion in the furnace.
Same here, I just ordered a vent deflector off amazon. It should prevent any water from getting into the vents since it will be pull air from the side of the tank instead of inside the stand. (Same deflector pictured in the original post)