Tank moving recommendations

Rcunning8

Premium member
Hey guys,

I'm moving to a new condo soon in Ukrainian village and the dreaded process of a tank move is inevitable!!! I was hoping to get some recommendations to make things go more smoothly, I have done it before but was hoping some people might have somthing else to add!

Also I will be getting rid of my substrate and getting somthing new.. I am hoping to switch over to a fine sand and was looking to hear back from people about:

where I should go to by some dry fine sand?

How many pounds will I need for a four inch sand bed in a 120 that measures 4x2 feet?

Also I am going to be making water in the new place and mixing it there as well. Plan on using 80 percent new water and 20 percent old that the livestock will be in. Unfortunately I just recently bought a box of regular instant ocean instead of reef crystals online by mistake. Would it be a mistake to use this salt for the 80 percent new water that I will be adding? Currently my water is 1.026, 8.5 alk, 460 ca, 1400 mag, 0 phos, 2-4 nitrate. I was wondering if anyone knew the levels of freshly mixed reef crystals compared to the regular instant ocean purple mix.

Thanks for the help dudes and dudettes!

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkullV

Honestly you're better off using regular IO than RC for your large "water change" anyway. The ALK is significantly closer to your current level (11 vs. 14) so your livestock will see less of an alk spike. You will need to supplement Mg and Ca via 2 part if you want those to match. If you desire you can also use muriatic acid in the fresh mixed water to drop the Alk. Here is a somewhat dated but still mostly accurate chart:

I have been using regular IO exclusively in my tank since I moved to AZ and have had nothing but excellent results. Good luck!