Tank size

PufferMan

I'm thinking about setting up a separate coral only tank, so I don't put to much stuff in my main tank with my fish. I currently have a 37 tall tank sitting around empty, doing nothing that I thought about using. But I imagine that would probably be to tall and narrow to be functional for corals. I think I can also fit either a 20 long or a 29 on that same stand, so I was considering just buying one of those sizes instead.

Anyone have any recommendations regarding any of those sizes, 20, 29, or 37? I would probably be putting a 4 bulb VHO fixture on it, if that changes anyone's opinion.

scotty

tall is generally regarded as avoided in the reef world. they work well for fowlr tanks that do not need the light, however the taller the tank, the more power on the light end to get the par ratings down that you need.

tall and narrow is interesting however because you can do something like this.

this by far is my favorite aquascape.

the vho is dead tech imo, look into a t5, they aren't that expensive if you do a fishneedit.com setup.

ColaAddict

tall is generally regarded as avoided in the reef world. they work well for fowlr tanks that do not need the light, however the taller the tank, the more power on the light end to get the par ratings down that you need.

tall and narrow is interesting however because you can do something like this.

this by far is my favorite aquascape.

the vho is dead tech imo, look into a t5, they aren't that expensive if you do a fishneedit.com setup.
Very cool aquascape. Is that your tank?

MMreef

I would get 40gal.breeder from Petco when they are on sale $1 for 1gal. This is a great size tank.

FishBeard

Really? Is that all tanks or just the 40G breeders
All aqueon (aga) glass tanks, 10g up to 55g. The normal old rectangles, usually no specialty tanks or reef ready ones are part of the sale. I bought a 29g to hold DI water in the garage so if I need to in a pinch, can instantly convert it to a hospital/qt tank overnight. My bro-in-law got a 40b that I am currently designing a custom stand for to install a 29g sump/fuge underneath. I agree, 24" deep is about the most you want for a reef tank, 18" or less would be even better. If you want a dsb/plenum go with the 24" deep so you still have decent tank depth said and done.