Tank stand sturdiness question.

Vapour1ze

Hi all, so my 220 is finally underway! I am about to begin plumbing etc within the next few weeks.... My floor just got reinforced for the weight, the back of the tank is painted, and I am ready to begin next steps...

This stand is one of the regular pine ones that they sell at any pet shop. I had the Fiance chaulk paint it for me to match my office setting. This thing just seems like it would give out to me. No? It's 1" lumber practically. I'm just really worried about 1 1/2 tons of weight on this thing.... Am I being ridiculous? I mean the stand is in great shape, and looks to be fine and sturdy. But man, I'm just skeptical. This is a LOT OF WEIGHT!!!!!

Any input to help me sleep at night would be great...

Keep in mind, my sump / equipment will be in the basement so that weight won't be along with the display, but still, the display alone on the 1st floor on this stand worries me.

Thanks!
21021407506_3d3f531158_k by Luke Strothman, on Flickr

Wood is stronger than you think. But if you are worry then you can always add some 2x4 along the 8 vertical beams. And possibly some 1x4 along the horizonal beams. It looks like you have the stand and tank on top of 4 pads so that you don't scratch the floor? If it is so then all the weight are distributed only on those 4 pads which is definitely dangerous and make the stand unstable. ( Engineers can chime in here). I would take those 4 pads out and let the stand position flat on the floor so all the weight are distributed evenly along the horizontal beam.

jayjerk

Premium member
They wouldn't sell it if it wasn't Safe....ish...lol...but you should be fine guys have been using those type stands for years ...I personally think they are ugly. But again that's a personal preference.

cet98

I would take those casters out from the corners...the structure of the stand is to displace weight evenly throughout the stands framework...lifting the corners only is a bad idea IMO
like Jayjerk said, the stand is made for the tank so you'll be fine but just make sure the stand is plumb and level....