Tank switch tips?

Tkroll0321

Premium member
Hey guys thought I'd see if anyone has any guidance as I'm sure many of you have been through something of the sort.

Recently I decided I was going to build a matching stand and canopy for my 57g tank. I am still in the process of doing that but the idea sparked a fire of upgrading some more of what I had. So I contracted Will to make me a custom sump that I felt would use the space in the new stand better.

I then started thinking about how nice it would be to have a little bit diff tank as I currently am set up with an overflow In the right side corner which obstructs some view as it's pushed back into a left side wall.

Last week I happened upon a 65g with a left side over flow and jumped on it. It's the same foot print so my stand design doesn't have to be altered just lengthen some hoses for my sump. That being said it made me feel like I wanted to go a step farther. I am now planning putting mostly new live rock into the 65 as I've never been a fan of what came with my current set up.

So my question is how to go about making the switch. My current set up has been running for about a year so I have fish and corals in it. Most of the coral I will probably be giving away before the switch anyways as it was mostly PIFed and I want to narrow my scope quite a bit on what I keep so hopefully that makes it a little easier. The new tank will have to go in the same spot the old one is after being emptied.

I just really am unsure if what my first move should be. How fast can I switch things over if I am getting live rock? My current tank is completely barebottom so I have no sand to move. I do plan on using a few of my favorite tonga pieces in the new one but had some algae issues in the old one so don't want to carry over much.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Even more questions to think about!
Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free