Tank temp 86.3F

Twitch

So my tank is sitting at 86.3F but everything looks happy as can be what do I need to worry about holding higher temps. I have yet to install my ac units in the house and I run a halide. might have to go back to leds.

madjoe

Premium member
View attachment 2735

Everything is happy. Bigger than ever. I just shut off my halide. I just did 12 leds the other day all blue so there is still light.
what id worry about is the temp swing when halide turns off like if t drops to 80 thts 6 degrees every day . also at 89 degrees I cooked most my stuff once so that's not so far off from where your at . again just my opinion and experance one time now I run chillers on both tanks so I don't worry bout tem getting hot any more. good luck

imranh

I believe the average high reef temps in the summer months for several reefs (including great barrier) are in the mid to upper 80s. What this means for your closed system aquarium, I have no idea. I'd be having a minor heart attack if I were you.

Just put a decent fan on the surface and you should be ok. Forecast for the next few days is much cooler as well.

Good luck!

anarchy

^^ agreed just put some fans on it with the halide and see how the temp is.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Twitch

Lol heart attack na not me just ask Dre lmao. I wont be worried until my corals tell me otherwise. My tank is used to swings I dont have a heater or chiller and I have not lost a coral yet. I will keep an eye on it through webcam and kill my halide remotely from my phone if it gets any higher than that again. I shouldnt have to worry as I plan on getting my ac units in in the next few days. it was 82 in my house today. Once my new reef controller is finished I will write the code to auto kill the halide upon hitting a certain temp plus email/txt me when it happens. I am building a Raspberry Pi into a full reef controller should be done in the next few weeks.

jfuka78

You can always keep your light off for a couple days and just let the surrounding light hit it from the room. I am glad mine is in the basement, but my lovely wife keeps the house at 70

The main concern I think is oxygen in the water at higher temperatures.
I one woke up to a 95* tank because of those heaters with probe and controller. The probe fell out of the tank and kept reading house temp of 70. That's was before I knew about apex and such 15 years ago

Last edited:

Twitch

Tank has been 83-86 not that much of a swing and the 15+ rics I already had are all doing great.

Twitch

I killed the halide for the day and will get my air conditioning in tonight.should hold 80 after that

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Lol heart attack na not me just ask Dre lmao. I wont be worried until my corals tell me otherwise. My tank is used to swings I dont have a heater or chiller and I have not lost a coral yet. I will keep an eye on it through webcam and kill my halide remotely from my phone if it gets any higher than that again. I shouldnt have to worry as I plan on getting my ac units in in the next few days. it was 82 in my house today. Once my new reef controller is finished I will write the code to auto kill the halide upon hitting a certain temp plus email/txt me when it happens. I am building a Raspberry Pi into a full reef controller should be done in the next few weeks.
No true!! I was the one having the heart attack for him..lol! Somehow he always managed to have his SPS look more colorful than mine

Twitch

Lmao dre you people over complicate this hobby with all that dosing. Simple water changes and thats it

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Lmao dre you people over complicate this hobby with all that dosing. Simple water changes and thats it

You people over complicate this hobby with your.......frequent water changes!

Twitch

You people over complicate this hobby with your.......frequent water changes!
Lol too funny. But seriously I dont skim or dose and my tank thrives. My old 60 cube had dre mad at how good it did with just water changes and a fuge