Tank Temperature

What temperature do you keep your tank at?

• >82

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80-81

• 78-79

• 76-77

• <75

• Intentional Variation by controller (long term)

• Unintentional variation by equipment (short term)

• Total voters

dtrm

I wonder what everybody else is running there tank temp at? I have had it set at 80 deg since set up and thinking about dropping down to 78. I have had a problem with hair algae and started running GFO for 2 weeks and shorted up light cycle and seems to be going away but some corals not happy. Since school started back no need for tank lights to be on till late in the day. 75 dt 150 total water. cheato also suffering. I have a basement sump and temp can be very stable where ever I set it.

jcarlilesiu

Our tank temp is controlled by the Apex aquacontroller. It gradually increases in temp to about 82 in the height of summer and drops down to about 76 at the coldest point of the winter.

Its kind of cool to graph it out and see it slowly creeping up by week.

mr_z

Mine fluxuates from 78-81 in the mornings it's at the lowest and throught the day it risesto a little over 81 is that bad that it goes up n down everday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcarlilesiu

Mine fluxuates from 78-81 in the mornings it's at the lowest and throught the day it risesto a little over 81 is that bad that it goes up n down everday

I would try to minimize these fluctuations. The temperature in the environment we are trying to mimic probably DOES change that much, but over a season. not daily.

Im not sure if it will stress anything, but our goal should certainly try to mimic natural conditions as much as possible.

What is heating it up?

mr_z

I would try to minimize these fluctuations. The temperature in the environment we are trying to mimic probably DOES change that much, but over a season. not daily.

Im not sure if it will stress anything, but our goal should certainly try to mimic natural conditions as much as possible.

What is heating it up?
I'm on the second floor and heat rises so pretty much it heats up I have a hydor theo heater in ther set at 78 should I just raise temp on it?and keep it a bit higher

jcarlilesiu

I'm on the second floor and heat rises so pretty much it heats up I have a hydor theo heater in ther set at 78 should I just raise temp on it?and keep it a bit higher

I don't think its the ambient temperature in your place that is completely to blame. How big is the tank? Water heats and cools pretty slowly especially just from ambient temperatures if those temperatures aren't extreme.

Though the smaller water volume (and I believe you have a nano) would vary faster.

Try this. Open the hood on your aquarium for a day and monitor the temperature and see how it does.

With a fully enclosed system, I have to believe your lights and pumps are more to blame than the temperature of your apartment unless your apartment is getting really hot.

mr_z

I don't think its the ambient temperature in your place that is completely to blame. How big is the tank? Water heats and cools pretty slowly especially just from ambient temperatures if those temperatures aren't extreme.

Though the smaller water volume (and I believe you have a nano) would vary faster.

Try this. Open the hood on your aquarium for a day and monitor the temperature and see how it does.

With a fully enclosed system, I have to believe your lights and pumps are more to blame than the temperature of your apartment unless your apartment is getting really hot.
I always keep my hood open it's the 12 gallon nano.

FishBeard

My BC14 runs hot around 80+ with the feeding door closed, my BC29 runs cooler around 75 without a heater and is fish only, and my 60 cube holds a steady 79 +\- .3 controlled by my RKE. All tanks are doing fine even at the various temperatures, I'd suggest not sweating a 2 degree change.