Tank up..NOW running well

FlyinBryan

I hope I can still post Beginner's Corner because that's what I still feel like. Well the tank is up and running, and running great. I had to make a couple changes. First, the pump I was using was just to powerful and was overheating the sump so I backed it down and that really helped my temperature issues. Instead of 80.5 I'm down to about 78.5-79. The other change was adding another powerful power head. Both are situated against the back of the tank at about the same heights, aprox 8" down from water line, and aimed directly towards the front of the tank; this seems to make for good wave action especially towards the top of the tank.
I purchased a 'fox face'? Anyways, a fish who has bass like fins, a wierd shaped nose, but eats algae, and I have alot of that. I also added 6 more large snails. Hopefully that will help that.
So to date I have 2 clowns (for girlfriend ehem), one anemonie, one coral (not sure name), 1 chocolate tang, a blue tang (girlfriend again), a powder blue tang, a sailfin, the fox-face, a bunch of snails and crabs. I think it's a good mix and the fish seem to be swimming around like crazy and doing great.
Finally, I'm going to try and post a couple of pics.

poidog

what kind of light/bulbs are you using?

Also, I wouldn't have rocks on the side glass, it'll be impossible to clean.

FlyinBryan

Thanks guys, it's a 150 gallon reef ready and I'm running the AquaticLife lighting system. Has all the goodies, t5's, HID, and LED's, it's a pretty sweet light, does a great job.

Eric, where should I go with that rock then?

poidog

I would keep the rock at least a couple inches or more away from your side glass. That will give you room to scrape it and to allow water to flow around it. You may want to fill the middle in more... there is not very many places for coral placement. Now, it just looks like a wall of rock. I hate aquascaping, it's one of my least favorite tasks in setting up a new tank. Check out the member tank threads for ideas.

FlyinBryan

Got it..yeah thats like a 20 minute job..i just get too frusrated trying to get it done then i loose intetest. Also my hands were getg full of those thistles or whatever theyre called.

poidog

when i do aquascaping it takes hours, sometimes a couple days to get it right.

Go to pep boys and get a box of of the blue (powder free) mechanics gloves. Double layer them on and they're protect your hands. I use them all the time when in the tank or mixing epoxy. Need to get another box as I think about it.

ReefChick

Wow i hope you don't plan on adding any more tangs in that tank.You are pretty heavily stocked for the dimensions of the tank in my opinion.

poidog

I didn't even see the tangs! Take those out. I would only put 1-2 in your tank. And even then that is temporarily, youll have to remove them when the out grow the tank. Research everything before you buy.

DanSreef

Premium member
Great looking tank! I am planning a new project and a 150 is an option I have seen.....that has a 48w x30d x 25 tall... is that similar to your tank?

BADGUS

Yeah this tank has just been setup and already is overstocked.And yes the tank looks like 48x24x30.I suggest you read up on tangs and their necessary swimming room.

FlyinBryan

Thanks guys..maybe ive seen too episodes of tanked..ill just hope tangs will be alright.
No but seriously..the blue tang rarely ever came out..and the chocolate tang swam only on the lft side of the tank and rarely went anywhere else..for 2 weeks. I was getg bored so i added a cpl more. Doesnt seem to be too bad and it finally drew out he chocolate tang.
If and when they get too big ill set up a rr210 fowlr.
Yep 48x24x30..thus the lightin system!!