Tek T-5 Lighting

Navycook2

does the fan in the tek t-5 really make that much of a difference? and is that the only difference between the the regular and the elite?

MMreef

Cooling the bulbs to optimal temp. extends the life of them.I have regular Tek and I change my bulbs every 6 months.Without cooling they lose they PAR and spectrum faster.With fans in Elite you should be good with bulbs for about 12 months before changing them.

bennyblanco

I bought mine from Premium Aquatics but have heard great things about reefgeeks.com as well. I have the elite and always want a fixture with a fan. I'm very happy with mine but I've heard good things about the ATI fixture as well. I decided to go with Tek since it has legs(hanging wasn't an option for me), I liked color more(I know vain), and less $$$. After doing some research I was told you won't go wrong with either.

SkullV

If you can swing the $$ the ATI Sunpower is an all around better fixture. Better ballasts, better reflectors, and better cooling.

The Workhorse ballast that TEK uses actually underdrives the T5 bulbs.

SkullV

I Loved BlennyBlanco Tek T-5 Elite fixture Now i guess the question would be for a 75g 6bulb or 8bulb?
An ATI will be everything that his TEK was, just even better. It would be an upgrade not downgrade. Anyway, for a 75g a fan cooled 6 bulb with individual reflectors will be MORE than enough light. In many cases it can be too much (you can always hang the fixture higher.

bennyblanco

An ATI will be everything that his TEK was, just even better. It would be an upgrade not downgrade. Anyway, for a 75g a fan cooled 6 bulb with individual reflectors will be MORE than enough light. In many cases it can be too much (you can always hang the fixture higher.
I agree with Ted - The ATI is a better fixture but I needed the legs to mount since hanging wasn't an option for me. My friend has the ATI and loves it. I was second guessing myself on the TEK Elite but ended up really liking this unit. It's been fine for my needs.

Did you find a fixture?
Brett

BradB

Premium member
I just got a Tek Elite 6-bulb for my 75g two days ago. It's awesome light.
I also went with the Tek elite because of the option of legs.
I got mine from Ryan from Blue Thumb.He is a local vendor on this site.