Temperature - Where do you keep yours?

What temperature do you keep and how much do you let it swing?

• Below 78, 2+ degree swing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80-81.9, 0-2 degree swing

• 80-81.9, 2+ degree swing

• 82-83.9, 0-2 degree swing

• 82-83.9, 2+ degree swing

• Above 84, 0-2 degree swing

• Above 84, 2+ degree swing

• I don't care about TEMP :)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I'll get us started off. I'm currently between 78.4 and 78.6 controlled with 2x heaters set to just above what the Apex allows. My swing is typically no more than .5 a degree.

After doing some reading, I'm thinking I want to be closer to 82F so I will likely be slowly increasing over the next month.

#theMatrix

Mines set to 78.3 rk keeps it stable to +-.3 degrees.

At around 79 my fish start showing aggression. So thats why i dont raise it.

I try for 78, but It takes 4-300w heaters to get there, 3 of them never turn off. Mine actuall swings from 75 to 80 depending on the time of year. I shoot for 3 degrees or less daily. I don't recommend doing it my way, it's just something I have had to live with.

anarchy

I shoot for 78. Temp swing no moree than .5 degrees. Usually 77.9-78.4

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

#theMatrix

Figure if its mostly reef then the higher temp might be beneficial. But for a mix with mostly predators or agressive fish. The temp increase gets them more territorial and over all nasty to each other. When you have more than 2 surgeon fish they start slicing everyone

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
My thoughts are on coral health and growth. It is unusual we try to emulate their natural environment so much but tend to not do so with temp.

Interesting thought on fish aggressiveness. Haven't heard aggressiveness and temperature are correlated. Do you have any articles on it by chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I see a trend below 80F. Anyone run their tanks warmer than 80F?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I honestly couldn't get above 80 unless I added a few 400w halides or more heaters. LEDs were one of the most costly light I have ever run because they made more heaters necessary.

Paulip

Unfortunately, My apartment gets really hot in the summer. My solution: Make Summer the season for "Growth". There are interrelated factors at work running higher temps.

I am forced into a situation of higher temps without a chiller. To minimize swings, the water heater will be set at a lower bound of 82 degrees (86+ with no AC), alk will be at 8-9, feeding is constant, Carbon 24/7 and more export via twice a week water changes. It is also a bad time to get new frags for fear of getting some kind of reef pest. I just hope my intolerance of algae doesn't cause me to under-feed or run too short of a light cycle.

I will use the cooler months for running lower nutrients, lower alk and "coloring" the corals + trading. Seems to match the lifecycle of the trade/hobby, too. But I am no expert, I hope it works.

Last edited:

madjoe

Premium member
So i found 81 is easiest to keep my temp at yr round that way it stays more steady with less heater and chiller needs

#theMatrix

So before i was using thr rkl iTemp and it didnt fluctuate as much as now using a standard temp probe on the rke

But lately. Well hows this?

ejwan

My tank is at 79 +_ .5 degree using the Apex. I have a second heater n the Apex as a backup if the main fails.