Testing LEDS

Sawdonkey

Premium member
You don't test. Look on the side of the diode on the metal part. You'll see a tiny negative sign on one side.

topenjoin

What kind of pcb boards did you get? You need to attach them to some kind of heatsink, usually these 3 watt diodes are attached to aluminum stars. Then attached to a heatsink

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

madjoe

Premium member
They r usually marked plus there usually is a shorter side and long side u can check with a volt meter . I used a thermopaste from radio shack but not many radio shacks still around . Stay away from the thermmo glue or it will be a bietch to replace next time i believe the longer side is marked negative . And i would test if u have multi meter i ordered some one time and believe it or not some how they built that batch backwards even though marked negative the other side ended up being negative nothing like doing a job twice lol

Last edited:

adam87

I was looking at them now, and they have negative marks on them. Also use the volt meter just to make sure.

adam87

What kind of pcb boards did you get? You need to attach them to some kind of heatsink, usually these 3 watt diodes are attached to aluminum stars. Then attached to a heatsink

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
I'm fixing my Reef Breeders Value Fixtures, the blues leds are burn up.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I'm fixing my Reef Breeders Value Fixtures, the blues leds are burn up.
Let me know if you have any questions. I've changed out a lot of diodes in my Evergrows and Ocean Revives, both of which are similar to Reef Breeders.

Are you sure all of the diodes are burnt out? It just takes one to make the whole chain stop working. It's pretty easy to test and figure out which one is the issue.

adam87

The blue leds are black. I got a Ocean Revives to use for now until a fix my RB.

Last edited: