The 29g Bio Rimless build

frostyjay1

it looks like a diatom outbreak. it is a good sign that your tank is going through a proper cycle. You can check your phosphates, as they may be up a little. if your through the cycle, you can get some nassarious snails and astrea snails. the nass do great on the sand, and the astreas do wonders on the glass and the back.

jfarris1976

Thanks frostyjay I suspected that me be it because I have never set up a tank from scratch so this is new to me and I know not to overreact (worst thing we can do as reefers). I just started noticing it this morning so i'm not sure how long this cycle will take. How will I know when it's over?

Jep21

Maybe add more flow.. But def a diatom bloom... Its a new tank thing.. So just give it some time and get some cuc going and it should take care of it

jfarris1976

I have an oceanic in there and my return is a maxijet 1200 so it's got quite a bit of flow. I also have a bag of Chemipure if that makes a difference.

Jep21

Cuc= clean up crew like snails/starfish/hermits/urchins/crabs

Um i would say due to how ur rock work is structured which is a great aquascape, u may have some dead spots which can be causing the diatom bloom..

I also have a biocube29
Here are my flow/power heads

Return maxijett 900
Koralia nano 240
Koralia nano 420
Mp10 cranked a little bit passed 50%

More flow is good as long as it doesnt blow sand or ur corals everywhere u should be fine

brianspider

Id get a koralia nano and place it on the side glass faced to direct flow along your back wall, between the wall and rock work. From the look of your scape if there are dead spots, they are there.

jfarris1976

Hey Brian good to see you came by for a visit. I have an oceanic biocube circulation pump blowing on my back glass I am getting at least one more and have the shoot across the front of my tank.

brianspider

Ah ok, my bad. I'd get another pump as others have said. Position the pumps to "cross streams," if you will haha, to get as much turbulent flow as possible.

Also, did you get that Tunze skimmer? I kept and modded mine and it works 10x better than stock, which was still pretty good. Let me know if you are interested in doing it yourself, easy mod.

Jep21

Just wait for the new tank syndrome to be over and ur tank will stabilize.. Just keep up with water changed and have good flow and u should be fine

brianspider

Hey J, don't worry man. We all have to learn when to keep our hands out of our tanks. Right now, your tank is going through something all tanks do. You'll be surprised at all the crazy **** your tank is going to grow over the next few months. Don't worry, you are doing nothing wrong. Just let your tank do its thing while its new.

jfarris1976

Thanks Brian it's just growing hair algea like crazy since yesterday. As well as some funky fuzzy stuff I've never cycled a tank before. I am used to seeing something wrong and doing something about it asap. Sorry

brianspider

Thanks Brian it's just growing hair algea like crazy since yesterday. As well as some funky fuzzy stuff I've never cycled a tank before. I am used to seeing something wrong and doing something about it asap. Sorry
Haha I feel ya. I have the same urge all the time as well, and rarely succeed in leaving things be when they need to be left alone.

jfarris1976

Alright I took my water in today to Coral Reef and they tested my water and everything was ok!! Cycle looks like it is over. Calcium was a little high but nothing to worry about. Got a CUC and a cleaner shrimp and away we go!!! Just waiting on my media basket to get here from INTANK and get my purigen and chempure goin and I should be set.