The amazing resilience of a special fish out of water!!!!

Rcunning8

Premium member
Hey Guys,

So I came to check on my potters wrasse this afternoon to make sure he was looking healthy, found him immediately and everything looked good. However I couldn't for the life of me locate my 4.5 inch blue throat trigger steve! I looked frantically on the floor and in the tank and couldn't find him anywhere! I thought maybe he was dead for some crazy reason in the tank and still could not find him. I pretty much had given up but when I sat down I saw my worst case scenario, there was Steve laying lifeless and dried out like fish jerky on the carpet. I sat there for about 15 minutes with my head in my hand thinking of how I was going to break the news to my roommate Aaron that his fish had died. He is back in NY right now visiting family so Thought I would bag and freeze him until he came home so we could have a ceremony when he got back. I picked up Steve and I swear this thing was a dried black stick of death. All of a sudden I saw his gill twitch. :suspense: Yesterday I coincidentally read a post from a good friend here on CR [MENTION=814]tinman[/MENTION] who had posted that fish can live up to three hours out of water. I am not sure on the amount of time steve was vacationing on my carpet but it had to be at least 2-3 hours. I thought to myself, no way is this going to work but I might as well try. So I held steve underwater for 15 minutes and it didn't look good but all of a sudden he started to burp up air!!! After that I saw his fins start to twitch!! I started scrubbing all the dirt and hair off of his sides and thats when he tried to pull away from me! Anyways I put him on the sanded to let him ride it out. Well steve laid there for about 30 minutes and then started zombie swimming into the rocks and walls!!! he is still not fully recovered but I am completely blown away that this fish is still alive. When I say that he was a dried out black stick of fish jerky, I mean it, no moisture was present whatsoever. Thats my story, STEVE IS ALIVE TO SWIM ANOTHER DAY!!! now time to make a DIY top :fish: :yippee:

Last edited:

tinman

Glad atleast one fish lived from what we read on CR :marchmellow:

even that dust thing you didnt have to give him a rub his mucous coat would have taken care of it :)

another crazy story from my tank ( might be able to help someone in future ) is how i dropped a drop of glue in the tank while gluing a frag over the tank lol the flasher wrasse thought its food and before i can catch it boom lol it swam with that open mouth glued for about a day .. no idea how he got rid of it but totally fine next day :)

these things i believe lived for more years than us on this earth and are smart beyond our ways of understanding .. :)

jrpark22000

Premium member
Great good luck story. :D

Watch him closely for the next couple days/weeks. It can really stress their system and catch up to them in the near future.

Rcunning8

Premium member
Great good luck story. :D

Watch him closely for the next couple days/weeks. It can really stress their system and catch up to them in the near future.
Thanks! Do u know how long until he starts swimming normally again? Right now he is just wedged in a rock in the back of the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madjoe

Premium member
Glad atleast one fish lived from what we read on CR :marchmellow:

even that dust thing you didnt have to give him a rub his mucous coat would have taken care of it :)

another crazy story from my tank ( might be able to help someone in future ) is how i dropped a drop of glue in the tank while gluing a frag over the tank lol the flasher wrasse thought its food and before i can catch it boom lol it swam with that open mouth glued for about a day .. no idea how he got rid of it but totally fine next day :)

these things i believe lived for more years than us on this earth and are smart beyond our ways of understanding .. :)
ha had a puffer do that had to put it to sleep remove glue then let it wake up stupid fish

Bommie

Great story, glad to hear steve is alive!
Im considering putting a net cover on my tank. I dont like the look of it but it saves lives.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Rcunning8

Premium member
What clownfish is on this pic?

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk
That's a buckshot clown from booyah. I def recommend a net, mine is in the mail and waiting for it to arrive anxiously.

ptw205

I didn't think triggers were jumpers. I have a red tail in an open tank. This makes me a littles concerned.

jrpark22000

Premium member
I didn't think triggers were jumpers. I have a red tail in an open tank. This makes me a littles concerned.
Big time jumpers. My sargassum jumped out several times over a couple year span when I was home. The last time I wasn't...

ptw205

I have had my sargassum for like 9 months and I have never seen him try to jump. It's eurobraced with 3 inch glass.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I've seen my Niger jump and bounce off the bottom of my LEDs and they are 10 inches off of the water. I have a suicide net across the back of my canopy so there is no chance for carpet surfing.

MikeyB

I can also say they are jumpers, I lost my sargassum a while back to carpet surfing. I wasnt home all day, went to feed the tank and he never showed up, found him on the ground :(

Green0j0s

Glad Steve is back to normal!

Where did you u get the potters wrasse though? Been looking for one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rcunning8

Premium member
All Triggers that I know of are jumpers so if you have one then you should def buy a net for the top of the tank. I ordered a net the day of the jump but unfortunately steve jumped again yesterday and this time I was not so lucky, he passed away and my roommate and I had a funeral for him tonight :( :( [MENTION=1805]Green0j0s[/MENTION] I got the potters wrasse from underwater world but had to wait a good deal of time before I was able to get my hands on it. I hope she makes it, she has been out everyday and I have been feeding her rigorously with hopes that will keep her coming out every morning. I will keep everyone updated as I have read that potters wrasse in particular remain fragile fish until they pass the 2 month mark.

Last edited:

Rcunning8

Premium member
[MENTION=3499]ptw205[/MENTION] I would recommend buying a net asap, there is no telling when these guys will feel the need to jump.