The beginning of a new reef tank

sammy61989

Hey so I'm new to this so I need as much help as I can get. I know it ain't going to be perfect I'm going to get frustrated at times but I'm here so I can get advice from people that have passed through it before that way I can learn and help others later on.

Well I have an innovation marine nuvo 8gallon tank freshly put water July 15 2015 so it's cycling right now got some live rock on it got an upgraded return pump so it throws a lot stronger flow. So whatever u guys have advice for me I would apreciated like how long should I wait to put in corals fish shrimp anything or how many fishes i can put or what type I should start with thanks guys and gals

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

fredfish13

welcome. be sure to read up on how to cycle your tank and get test kits for the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. safest way is when your ammonia and nitrites measure 0, then do a WC and you should be good to go. add things slowly. with that size tank, you should be able to fit 1 fish in there that won't grow too big.

I am cycling a 75 gallon now and put water in it mid-June. went on vacation so i could not feed ammonia in it. started out with dry rock but put a few pieces of LR this past week. still have measurable amounts of ammonia and nitrites. hoping by next week it will have cycled.

good luck and ask more questions if you got them.

RicoReef

Hey bro flip that pic!!! Lol me and you are so green to this we will be ther soon everyone on CR is cool always willing to help and give you free corals one's your set bro ?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

sammy61989

Thanks guys, fraginreeferhead I do have a glass lid on it just can't see it in the picture but thanks for that warning i don't want any fish jumping out

sammy61989

Hey so I'm new to this so I need as much help as I can get. I know it ain't going to be perfect I'm going to get frustrated at times but I'm here so I can get advice from people that have passed through it before that way I can learn and help others later on.

Well I have an innovation marine nuvo 8gallon tank freshly put water July 15 2015 so it's cycling right now got some live rock on it got an upgraded return pump so it throws a lot stronger flow. So whatever u guys have advice for me I would apreciated like how long should I wait to put in corals fish shrimp anything or how many fishes i can put or what type I should start with thanks guys and gals

View attachment 11888View attachment 11889

sammy61989

Thanks I think I'm going to try it but I hope it don't stink that bad in the house because my wife will be so mad lol

The reefer

I read that u can actually just add some fish food in the tank and that would help also. Just know that nothing good happens fast in the hobby. I would wait a month for the cycle to finish. I've done it with all my tanks. Not that bad. With an 8 gallon tank just be careful not to overstock quickly. Even getting a small cup of sand from another reefers tank would help also.

sammy61989

Also what's everyone's advice on how many fish can I add because I want 2 clowns Mandarin goby and the rest coral or 1 clown the goby and a cleaner shrimp let me know

jrpark22000

Premium member
Also what's everyone's advice on how many fish can I add because I want 2 clowns Mandarin goby and the rest coral or 1 clown the goby and a cleaner shrimp let me know
I hate to say it, but a mandarin won't make it long term. They almost exclusively eat pods and your tank is too small to grow enough. You'd need to buy pods regularly. With just two clowns an eight gallon will likely have a high nutrient load once they grow up. Pick a small pair and they'll be good for quite a while in the small tank.

RicoReef

Your tank size is not really good for housing a mandarin and pods live in the live rock also buying the pods get really expensive fast unless you get him to eat brine shrimp not ez. if you find one already eating them then your good i had got one to eat brine its a pain though

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

sammy61989

Thanks Guys I'll see what happens right now I want to cycle my tank the right way and check the levels can't wait though I'm excited