The worst

jcarlilesiu

Last night, went to bed, looked at the tank and all was well.

Woke up this morning to half of my softball sized neon green birdnest RTNing. No changes, everything else looks good.

Didn't have time to test anything before work, but pulled it out and snipped off a bunch of frags hopefully some make it.

I grew that from a 1" frag from the spring 2010 frag swap.

I would be much more able to swallow issues like this if I at least knew what happened. having no idea and watching a coral die in hours like that without any indication of something being wrong makes me want to just throw in the towel on SPS.

gig

that blows, I got a frag of that nice yellow milli MCF had in it's show tank, it was fine for weeks, mounted it, noticed it was starting to STN at the bottom, pulled it out clipped it well above the STN'ing part, reglued, two days later bleached white...ugh

FishBeard

I've heard that birdsnests and pocillopora will reach a critical point in their growth cycle, around the size of a grapefruit, they seem to self destruct. It's a lot more common than you think. Regardless, losing a colony to RTN still sucks, sorry to hear it.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
I feel your pain :( A good member on RC is also going through this also.. Not sure the reason why RTN happens. Could be an issue with weather change :rolleyes: I guess we will never know :confused:

redline10000

RTN Rapid tissue necrosis, protozoal infection of corals; can be rapidly fatal if not treated
SG specific gravity

STN Sudden tissue necrosis, protozoal infection of corals; can be rapidly fatal if not treated

jcarlilesiu

Thanks all. Just sucks when that happens.

I had a piece break off on accident a month or two ago. I jammed it into a hole in the rock next to the mother colony since I didn't have any plugs handy. It is doing fine. We will see if the 8 or so frags i made this morning make it. If so, its starting all over.

It was about the size of a grapefruit.

I guess its part of the hobby.

gig

RTN Rapid tissue necrosis, protozoal infection of corals; can be rapidly fatal if not treated
SG specific gravity

STN Sudden tissue necrosis, protozoal infection of corals; can be rapidly fatal if not treated
actually, that would be the same, rapid and sudden :)

actually, STN is slow, RTN is Rapid.

RTN is as it says, it can destroy a colony in a matter of hours
STN might take days or weeks

STN is usually caused by temp, salinty and alk swings, which is what got my milli, I think more stressed corals are ore susceptible.

gig

The problem with this is that Rtn starts from the base most times. You essentially are forced to make up frags of good pieces.
yep, even so the coral might be too stressed to stop it, which is what happened to mine.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
actually, that would be the same, rapid and sudden :)

actually, STN is slow, RTN is Rapid.

RTN is as it says, it can destroy a colony in a matter of hours
STN might take days or weeks

STN is usually caused by temp, salinty and alk swings, which is what got my milli, I think more stressed corals are ore susceptible.
+1

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I heard some folks will superglue all around and above the necrosis and this can stop it sometimes, still not a sure-fire cure.