thinking about restarting.....

adam87

Right now my 180 is being taking over by Gelidium, Bryopsis, Green Turf, and Aiptasia. I think i'm better off starting fresh instead of fighting it.
I will move the corals/fish into the 75, clean the rocks in the 180. And later on dip all the corals and QT them for 6 months.
I think this is the best way kill this stuff. Do you guys think this is good idea? I'm really tired of fighting this stuff.

Joe5688

The way I've always thought about it is you can start over and have the exact same problems. Ur better off fighting what your feeling with then starting over only for 5 months from now your I'm the same boat. Jmo

maidia

Team CR
Cook the rock with Muriatic Acid and the sand that what I did when my tank crash..I make sure all the pest gone to restart my tank..

adam87

Thinking about Muriatic Acid for the rocks too. I got this stuff from a piece of live rock, I wanted to add some life to my dead rock but it added just bad stuff. It took months for it to show up.
I run Two Little Fishies NPX Bioplastics and have 4 3in fish in the tank. I feed them 2x day. The nitrates are 0 but the phosphate is .25. I have BRS Pukani in the tank and I think that were the phosphate is coming from.

maidia

Team CR
I cook the rock with MA then rinse with tab water, then soak them in tab water + vinegar for 2 days then 3 days with RODI water > dry them out for a day or 2 > Done and safe for me.

jm23

The way I've always thought about it is you can start over and have the exact same problems. Ur better off fighting what your feeling with then starting over only for 5 months from now your I'm the same boat. Jmo
There are certain pests like AEFW and a few others that I would start over, but with Aiptasia and algae, I would just fight the problem. I just restarted and hoped to rid myself of aiptasia by dipping and starting with new rock and wouldn't you know it the suckers survived three dips of coralRx, bayer, and revive. Algae is a nutrient problem, try some GFO or vodka dosing, blasting your rocks with powerheads and filter socks to help rid the excess nutrients in the tank. GL with whichever you choose.

madjoe

Premium member
That god dam turf algae is harder to get rid if then aefw . Honestly adam i acid wqshed rock twice and bleached and yet turf algae is back along with a calupera tand leaf algae that i never had in tank so yea just fight the fight imo.

jm23

Should I try going bare bottom, up the flow and do larger WC?
I love the look of sand too much to go BB, but stirring up your sandbed on occasion is good for the tank. I have a diamond goby to do that for me, which my wife has named Hoover (after the vacuum brand). What are your phosphates and nitrates at? A WC can help with those levels, but remember that a lot of nutrients can be trapped in the rocks and not show up on your test kits. Use a powerhead, your hand, or a turkey baster to clean out the rocks. Do this daily at first and then weekly or more later. I also make sure to have a filter sock on the drain when I clean off the rocks. Check out this guide for help with algae: http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=60. First things first, check your parameters though and let us know what they are, the answer might be easier to find after knowing that.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Where'a your phosphate currently at? I started using brs high capacity gfo about two months ago and I'm near zero now. All algae, and there wasn't a ton to start with, has vanished.

adam87

nitrates are 0 but the phosphate is .25. Using Salifert Phosphate Test Kit

Last edited:

jm23

How long have your levels been there? It is hard to believe your levels are so low and you are still having issues. Have you tried blasting your rocks to see if there is a lot of trapped detritus?

adam87

How long have your levels been there? It is hard to believe your levels are so low and you are still having issues. Have you tried blasting your rocks to see if there is a lot of trapped detritus?
I blast the rocks once a week before doing a wc. lots of detritus come out of the rocks.

MMreef

0.25 is very high phosphate level which leads to problems you're describing. You want to keep it at around 0.02. Cooking LR, muratic acid bath will help you only temporary if you don't correct whatever causing phosphate levels this high. If you don't use gfo yet, get a reactor and start using it slowly. Don't drop your levels to quick , otherwise you might have coral problems, especially SPS. I would personally try
to correct the issue instead restarting all over .

jm23

0.25 is very high phosphate level which leads to problems you're describing. You want to keep it at around 0.02. Cooking LR, muratic acid bath will help you only temporary if you don't correct whatever causing phosphate levels this high. If you don't use gfo yet, get a reactor and start using it slowly. Don't drop your levels to quick , otherwise you might have coral problems, especially SPS. I would personally try
to correct the issue instead restarting all over .
+1, I misread the level. Try a tiny amount of GFO as Mark is right about dropping your level to quickly.

MMreef

Any GFO will do, BRS is good, I used it before with success. Start with about half of recommended dosage and monitor it, when it is exhausted you need to change it again. I test the output water from GFO reactor, as soon as it shows PO4 on test, it is time to replace it. You will need to change it most likely very often, like every few days probably, until you get your PO4 under control. It takes time but nothing good happens quickly in this hobby.

mishmaster

This is what I did and my problems concerning algae were worse than yours and now my tank looks nice (except for stupid microbubbles in the water column).

For Aiptasia use Aiptasia X or one of those zappers. Aiptasia X is cheaper though. Some people even use military grade laser pointers, C4, whatever floats your boat.

I did the following consecutively:
1. BRS GFO reactor and started using it (rinse GFO before adding to tank!!!).
2. I Tossed some High Quality carbon into my sump/filter.
3. I added some dry macro rocks to increase surface area of biological filtration.
4. Feed fish once a day, and make sure not a single piece gets wasted, I shed tears when food hits the sandbed.
5. Using a scraper and your hands to get as much algae out as possible. Turn off the pumps/ flow. Use a toothbrush and scrub really hard on the rock where the thickest algae is attached.
6. Use a net to get the now free floating algae out of the water column, as much as possible.
7. Do a 33% water change and vigioursly get into that sandbed with it.
8. Clean out filter media and set protein skimmer to skim wetter than usual.
9. Add some nitryfying bacteria, this is very important because this process will be rough on your system
10. THREE Days of Darkness, sounds crazy but it works even as a stand alone it can help. Use towels and clothpins to cover up your tank, turn off the light timers, should be near pitch in there , maybe a sliver of light in one corner. Your softies will strecth out a lot but they will revert back to normal two days later after your done. Your sps will be fine, I have monti, acros, birdsnest, lps, shrooms, and even an rbta. During the three days continue to add small amounts of the nitrifying bacteria.
11. After the three days are up I uncovered the tank, I played that song "reunited" by peaches and herb, do one more water change! replaced gfo and carbon! added bacteria! feed fish once! Never looked back.

Just stating what I did.

Last edited: