Thinking of getting back in and needing to get caught up on what's new.

Canar

Some may or may not remember me and my 600G LED SPS tank from like 10 years ago. I sold it when I moved and have not had a tank since.

I picked up a ZeroEdge 22zr a while back for really cheap and I think I am going to set it up. I am behind on the latest and greatest right now so looking for some insight.

My goal is a few small fish and sps coral. I know the smaller tank will be more challenging. This is what I was used to doing with the big tank.
  • Deep Sand Bed.
  • Live Rock (usually start with dry).
  • Dosing pump with Kalk to match evaporation.
  • Bio ball reactor for phosphates.
  • Live rock in the sump.
  • Quality protein skimmer.
  • Clean up crew.
  • Wave box and Tunze for flow. (not for this tank I get it)
I still have a lot of the equipment from my big tank, but most is overkill. I would love to be able to pull this off inside the stand if at all possible. I do have the option to go through the floor to a storage room below but that’s going to be a wife battle I don’t know if I want. Lol

Does a small sump exist that comes with or can handle a quality protein skimmer and bio reactor? Is a bio reactor still the best way to deal with keeping phosphates down? Has anything come out or changed that might make this easier?

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone here can provide.

Canar

Mjl714

Your previous tank was beautiful!

Sounds like a fun and cool looking 22g build. Live rock and kalk still heavily used. Sumps and protein skimmers, Jeff at Lifereef would probably build whatever you want, but for 22g probably overkill, definitely doable. I prefer gfo for phosphate control, don’t like the mess from bio pellets. Cuc, I really like tank raised purple tuxedo urchins, have three in my 75g.

Liverock link:

Good luck with your build. Look forward to the pictures.

Fish_wiz2

Canar!

It’s been a long time but i do remember your build, are you still local or moved away from IL completely?

Times have really changed but that zero edge is still timeless, I think it would be awesome to setup even with big cons it comes with like crazy evaporation and a lot of work to keep it clean.

If you’re thinking SPS, I’d go bare bottom or thin sand bed, DSB days are over and even on crazy large builds I don’t see them anymore. Since this tank is so shallow I wouldn’t even bother with sand. Same with the bio reactor, just keep up with water changes.

There are plenty of nano sumps on the market, look at the Eshopps nano cube sumps.

Since you can’t really put pumps into the zero edge, I’d recommend a DC return pump you can control to vary the flow, just make sure it doesn’t overwhelm the overflow.