This site has potential...but

FishBeard

About 95% or more of my time spent on this forum is with tapatalk for iOS. It is VERY easy to use the forum this way since the site is up to date, I get a home page that shows me all new unread threads like you get on the home page of the real site, a tab that gives me instant access to all threads I have participated in, which you don't easily get from the real web page. About the only time I use my pc for this site is when I upload images for a post since I'm already at the pc anyways.

The way I see it, CMAS forum at RC is extremely sloppy, it has become an entire subforum of it's own that needs organizing. If I thought of how to clean up CMAS forum over there, I would think it would end up how the forums are organized here the way they are now, this is essentially an alternate CMAS / Rockford / Joliet groups hangout anyways. I do agree the site needs refreshing visually, it's not very "reef" inspired in it's current form.

WeePee

i agree, condensing forums until more are needed would not hurt anything to the site and would make browsing easier as well as make this place look more active.

jcarlilesiu

First off, thank you for all of your suggestions.

This is my response as a member, not as part of the site staff. Ultimately, the type of adjustments some of you have requested are up to the site owner.

However; this is my point of view.

This site isn't "slow" because of the number of forums and sub-forums, but is a little slow because its only a little over a year old and members is still around 350. It isn't worth consolidating forum threads into unorganized general forums simply to make it appear that the forum is busier.

Instead, I encourage everybody to make sure that all of your reefer buddies and fellow local reefers are aware of and engaging this site. I believe that the owner intends to continue to award those people with the most referrals.

Looking at this site honestly though, its a very specialized forum and geared to a limited area. It will never have the traffic some of the non-regional specific sites do.

Just so members are aware of the functionality of the site. When you first log-in, under your avatar on the right side of the screen on the main www.chicagoreefs.com page, you will see "New Posts" and a number. This represents the number of posts since your lost visit. By clicking on that number, it will bring up threads which have new information.

This may help some of you to quickly located new posts.

I challenge all of our members to make an effort to make this the premier regional reefer discussion forum. Because this site is focused to, and explicitly for regional reefers, I believe that it offers the most potential.

Now its just a matter of you convincing your fellow online reefer buddies. Lets all make this the biggest and best site it can be.

Greg

Yes, thats a good point.
But I believe people will come and stay if the forums are improved.
If we get someone to come here, and they see the way it is, they may not stay.
I know of quite a few people who got driven off due to the format of the forums (Me being one of them).

This will never compete with RC as a whole. But it should be able to at least compete with the CMAS forum on RC.

Since this is a small regional and specialized forum, that is all the more reason to consolidate them. We do not need 34 different sub-forums like large national forums do.

Ms0099rg

About 95% or more of my time spent on this forum is with tapatalk for iOS. It is VERY easy to use the forum this way since the site is up to date, I get a home page that shows me all new unread threads like you get on the home page of the real site, a tab that gives me instant access to all threads I have participated in, which you don't easily get from the real web page. About the only time I use my pc for this site is when I upload images for a post since I'm already at the pc anyways.

The way I see it, CMAS forum at RC is extremely sloppy, it has become an entire subforum of it's own that needs organizing. If I thought of how to clean up CMAS forum over there, I would think it would end up how the forums are organized here the way they are now, this is essentially an alternate CMAS / Rockford / Joliet groups hangout anyways. I do agree the site needs refreshing visually, it's not very "reef" inspired in it's current form.
+1

---

ColaAddict

I like this forum more than RC because you actually have freedom of speech here.
I also use Tapatalk and chicagoreefs is definitely more tapa-friendly than RC.

Catran

+2. This site is very easy to use with tapatalk.

Greg

Why are so many people talking about tapatalk...lol
I use it too. Im not trying to improve that application...

ColaAddict

This forum is very young and I'm sure improvements are on the way. Just gotta get nice good inputs from people.

mr_z

+1tapatalk and the site is young and still needs to grow but prefer over rc

---
- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greg

I am still debating making my own forums using vb...
It would be easier just to improve these though.
I completely understand that it takes a lot of time, as I used to help running/designing forums. I understand that daily life gets hectic, and forums can stop getting maintained due to lack of free time.

I am just trying to help.

EyeReef

I would like to thank everybody for their feedback. I will have already condensed some forums and eliminated a couple. I will try my best to condense what I can.

This is a relatively new forum, 6 months to be exact. So we still have a lot of growing to do. So please keep the suggestions coming.

Cubbies

I would like to thank everybody for their feedback. I will have already condensed some forums and eliminated a couple. I will try my best to condense what I can.

This is a relatively new forum, 6 months to be exact. So we still have a lot of growing to do. So please keep the suggestions coming.
Thanks Mike. Looking forward for the updates.