Thoughts on Algea

bulldog0407

Premium member
Hey everyone, I have a colony of Wobbelgong Zoas, somewhere around 50-60 polyps. I had a slight algea issue a few months ago when my peppermint shrimp disappeared. I havea 16 gal Nuvo so those 2 dying created a large increase algea in the tank, something that looked like a green slime. It started off encroaching the bases of the polyps and slowly started restricting them from opening. I could blow off the algea with a turkey baster only to have it return. I finally got my bio load issues inline and the colony started to get better. I noticed a few weeks ago that a little bryopsis was growing on the colony, something I kicked about a year ago with Tech M, and I started the treatment again. I went on vacation came back and the colony has been taken over by a combo of bryopsis and what looks to be hair alega. It is the only rock that has this issue. My question is, do I cut my loses on the rock and frag what I can to reduce the possibility of it spreading? Or do I keep it in the tank and wish for the best? I have a couple of SPS colonies attached to the rock so it would not be the easiest to removed and hit with hydrogen peroxided and not sure if the rock would soak it in and then leach. Since it is a small water quantity little swings makes big changes in the tank.

Ryan