To use an algae scrubber or not?

Hi everyone, was wondering some pros and cons to having and algae scrubber and if anyone has a DIY way, skimmer and scrubber?, and also does it benefit a FOWLR more than a reef? Thanks in advance

ultimatemj

Pros: Consumes/exports the nutrients nuisance algae would feed on.

Cons: Can't think of any...but I guess you could argue "its more things to deal with".

Should you use in addition to skimmer?, any one have a thread with thier diy one
I have actually been contemplating this same thing. I believe an ATS and skimmer should compliment each other, not to be a replacement for one or the other. An ATS eats up the nutrients once they have broken down, a skimmer gets them before the have a chance to break down. My plan is to skim dry as the skimmers have a tendancy to take out some of the good stuff in the water also and let the ATS grab whatever had the chance to break down. I look at it as a primary and secondary type.of nutrient reduction.

#theMatrix

I run both. A diy ats and skimmer. Also phos reactor. Different sections of the sump to try n not rob each other of the work their supposed to.
Check my build in members tanks