Toadstool concern..

newnanoman

I have a nice toadstool that has been one of the first corals in my tank and doing well from the beginning.. All the other corals in my tank are fully open and looking great and all my water parameters are in check...I have not done anything different in the last week or more to the tank. This toadstool has not opened for the last two days now and appears to be stressed out or something... any suggestions?

ColorMeCorals

Toadstools sometimes do that. If everything is in check just leave it alone and it should come back fine. At least mine always did.

jcarlilesiu

Mine molt every few months. Its the process where they shed their outer layer of 'skin' to accommodate growth.

When this is occurring, they start looking shiny and waxy. I have even seen a small amount of algae grow on the skin before it sheds off. Keep an eye on it, if it looks like the polyps are trying to protrude but are trapped it might need some help.

Use a turkey baster to try and blow the top layer of skin off.

After this process, it will look bigger than before.

newnanoman

OK.. so finally after 9--yes NINE days my toadstool actually molted and shed some of its old skin.. its now starting to open again and I am relieved.. wow ! thanks everyone for helping me to be patient on this one...

lunacris

my toeadstool had a hole in the center as well happend just after i bought my coral banded shrimp pair read that they will sometimes eat or pick leathers but turns out mine was in process of splitting and is now two