Top Reason Jebao Wavemakers Stop Working and an Easy FIX

SkullV

Reposted from Reef Central:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2552560

Top Reason Jebao wavemakers stop working and a super easy FIX for them!!!

I have been using Jebao WP and RW wavemaker pumps for a few years now and have had a few die on me (who hasn’t). During my use with them I have determined the design of the impeller and where it connects to the outer casing and the inner motor mount points to be the BIGGEST FAILURE points bar none.

With that said, I figured I would share my easy and free solution to keep these pumps running longer (way longer as I haven’t had a single failure since modding all of my pumps).

This little ceramic piece that slides over the Impeller = huge design flaw.

What happens is that this little cylinder WILL eventually sieze to the impeller shaft and the pump will seemingly be completely ruined and you’ll throw it away…fear not, it’s not ready for the trash just yet…

Picture of the little white ceramic cylinder can be seen here inside the clear rubber gasket:

Pop that nasty little white ceramic cylinder out of the clear housing and grab yourself a pair of scissors and some airline tubing…

Here is it cut to the length of the white cylinder piece we will be replacing…

Slide it over the shaft….

Here it all is ready to be put together (white cylinders shown in pic but are ready for the trash)…

And, here it is fully assembled and ready to be put back into the motor where it WILL DEFINITELY run longer and without needing as much maintenance as before!

Enjoy!
-David
I haven't had any of my Jebaos fail but it seems that this may actually improve performance and reduce the necessity for frequent cleaning so I'm going to do this modification tonight.

enzo1028

Premium member
Wow, thank you for posting this and it's weird timing. I took my WP10 apart(again) last night to try and figure out why it stops every day. I noticed it was this ceramic ring but on the base side. I will try this tonight!

SkullV

Anyone get a chance to try this on a non-seized pump yet? Trying to see if there is any performance increase due to friction reduction. I'm hoping to get to one of mine tonight but not sure I'll have time. I also don't know whether i should use the higher end silicone air hose I have or the standard Lee's vinyl stuff.

#theMatrix

Anybody get a chance to try this? Was hard plastic airline tubing used or soft dextrous kind used? Will it matter? The photos in the fix seem it was the soft airline.

I plan to do some cleaning on my powerheads and wanted to change it if incase it helps with performance and seizing issues

Edit.

Seems its the soft airline tubing people are using. But theres some higher end plastic one mentioned to be most proper replacement.

Last edited:

Darienreefs7

I just did this mod to my RW8 that had not previously been working. It seems the ceramic bit gets stuck into place causing the impeller to stick or even slow down. I only replaced the ceramic bit that goes on the back of the impeller like so.

This does help the fix but I will still be cleaning this impeller regularly. I think by using the airline tubing it does decrease the chance of having the impeller get stuck.

I used any plain old airline tubing btw.

riv

Premium member
I tried it with the soft tubing. Didn't work for me. I'll try again later maybe I did something wrong.

#theMatrix

Did this to one sicce i had. Worked great.
Said wth and did it to the rest of them all tied to a wave controller. Start stop and works flawless.

enzo1028

Premium member
So my WP10 went out AGAIN today so I finally pulled the trigger and tried this. I was only able to replace the ceramic on the bottom of the propellor. It did not work at first, but once it got wet it started up like a charm. We will see how long this fix can last!

enzo1028

Premium member
So my WP10 went out AGAIN today so I finally pulled the trigger and tried this. I was only able to replace the ceramic on the bottom of the propellor. It did not work at first, but once it got wet it started up like a charm. We will see how long this fix can last!
It stopped working again last night. I turned it off and on and it started up again easily. I may just replace it soon.