Totally awesome or a total mistake?

100LL

I've been wanting to start a nano reef setup to home some of the smaller inhabitants that didn't quite "go" in my 90 gallon display tank but having two other tanks and a small third build in progress I couldn't convince myself that this was a good idea... Well, give me some booze and a bad case of insomnia and suddenly I've found myself with a 16 gal IM Nuvo decked out with AI Nano LEDs, Aqua Gadget mini Ghost Skimmer and a Tunze ATO and feeling pretty excited...

Time to go get some fish, right? Well, not so fast. Seeing my wife's enjoyment in the hobby had me thinking that this tank should be her's. You know, where she makes all of the livestock and coral decisions...

anarchy

That's awesome! Tried to do it for my wife but she doesn't enjoy the hobby enough YET so it became mine again
Looking forward to pics

100LL

That's awesome! Tried to do it for my wife but she doesn't enjoy the hobby enough YET so it became mine again
Looking forward to pics
Yeah, keep it mysterious & secretive and maybe you'll draw her in. :). I'm hoping it works out but I may be looking to trade/sell in a few months. JK

She likes helping feed my LPS and the gold midas blenny, toby puffer and clowns in my sons tank. I'm not going to rush her but would like her to start stocking. If I can get her over the intimidation and attached to some of the fish, I think she'll be hooked.

Anyone know if there's anything critical I (I mean she) needs to know about black sand?

madjoe

Premium member
Yeah, keep it mysterious & secretive and maybe you'll draw her in. :). I'm hoping it works out but I may be looking to trade/sell in a few months. JK

She likes helping feed my LPS and the gold midas blenny, toby puffer and clowns in my sons tank. I'm not going to rush her but would like her to start stocking. If I can get her over the intimidation and attached to some of the fish, I think she'll be hooked.

Anyone know if there's anything critical I (I mean she) needs to know about black sand?
Ive heard some brands r magnetic and can damage pumps but ive seen peiple useblack sand with no issues u i mean she should be good

vanisher

I've been wanting to start a nano reef setup to home some of the smaller inhabitants that didn't quite "go" in my 90 gallon display tank but having two other tanks and a small third build in progress I couldn't convince myself that this was a good idea... Well, give me some booze and a bad case of insomnia and suddenly I've found myself with a 16 gal IM Nuvo decked out with AI Nano LEDs, Aqua Gadget mini Ghost Skimmer and a Tunze ATO and feeling pretty excited...

Time to go get some fish, right? Well, not so fast. Seeing my wife's enjoyment in the hobby had me thinking that this tank should be her's. You know, where she makes all of the livestock and coral decisions...
100% agree, the more she's involved and gets any enjoyment out of it, the more you'll have free reign to move forward with yours.

100LL

Ive heard some brands r magnetic and can damage pumps but ive seen peiple useblack sand with no issues u i mean she should be good
Thanks, MadJoe. I just did a very crude and unscientific magnetic test with my mag float and it doesn't seem to be. Phew!

anarchy

Yeah I thought about doing a hi fin red banded goby and red banded pistol shrimp on my db30. I think she'd like them as long as all frags were secured heard pistols like to use frags as doors

100LL

Ok, tomorrow makes it a week and still no fish in the wife's tank. I'm trying not to push but I don't need to tell you how boring it is feeding an empty tank. Worse yet will be when I start doing water changes on a empty tank. :-/ This is going to be harder than I thought.

Still empty!

100LL

Wife had a great day today and so did I. Mostly because I was at Aquatic Experience and out of her hair, but also because at her direction we have started stocking her 16g nuvo. We're getting everything acclimated and some pics will follow in the am.

Last edited:

100LL

Ok, thanks for the comments and likes.

As promised, here are some of the finds at the show yesterday....

She now has three Acan frags, (2 head bright fluorescent orange, 16 head rainbow and a 8 head head that in person looks Tennessee orange). I also got her what I believe to be an Indo torch and I re-homed her trachyphillia from my 90g DT. We also got her a cool little yellow watchman goby w/awesome blue spotting but it's being shy so no pics.

Last edited:

kdog23

Hey Brian--that might be an Indo torch--but great grab at the show on all of your frags and nice to meet you. Were you still at the Aquapros booth when I did the dine and dash ?.......lol

100LL

Hey Brian--that might be an Indo torch--but great grab at the show on all of your frags and nice to meet you. Were you still at the Aquapros booth when I did the dine and dash ?.......lol
Yeah, that was me. I didn't catch that but is that why the guy ran out of the booth... Ha ha! Nice meeting you for sure. I actually just sent you a PM.

Yes, an Indo torch... I knew I was being optimistic. I have corrected above. Thx.

kdog23

Yeah I completely forgot to pay---lol. But I had the fish and a couple frags and wanted to hit two more booths and bail out fast. But those Indo torch's are absolutely stunning in blues when they hit full size.

100LL

Ok, I think my wife is becoming hooked as she just texted me a pic of her new goby. This might not seem like a big deal to most of us, but this is something that means she's really excited. Also, what is going on with this trachyphilla? It was doing awesome and then randomly and suddenly stopped opening or even puffing up. Water parameters are good and all other corals are good. I would say it's because of the recent move, but it started this before and I actually thought the move might help. Wishful thinking.

Anyway, here's the pic she just sent.