Totm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonebad395

In the tank of the month photo on the home page what is the coral in the lower left corner? Can't find it online and really like them

madjoe

Premium member
We? Great! Looking forward to seeing a write up on your reefing history.
Yea we the people who actually post here and try keep this place alive . U may own it but if nobody visits whats the point . So keep up the attitude see how far that gets u

madjoe

Premium member
Looking forward to your write up Joe.
Good luck with that . Im little confused did i say something that is obviously the truth i mean I really dont care its not my job im just a smuck that visits here . U run it how ever your heart desires. Your coin not mine

MMreef

Madjoe actually has a point, but really there is so many nice tanks on this site now, we ( you Josh :) ) should not have any problem to do at least one reef tank in a quarter. This is a great motivation for members to stay in the hobby and visit this site. JMHO.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Madjoe actually has a point, but really there is so many nice tanks on this site now, we ( you Josh :) ) should not have any problem to do at least one reef tank in a quarter. This is a great motivation for members to stay in the hobby and visit this site. JMHO.
I completely agree! Do a search looking at the past threads and posts me trying to get totq tanks. This exact same conversation has been had before, which I'm now reiterating. There are two main responses when asking someone to accept totq.
1. My tank isn't ready for totq yet, thanks for the offer, but let's let it mature more.
2. I dont have the... (time, camera, or want/skill to perform the write up) Thanks, but I'll pass.

I completely understand both responses, I gave them both when Eyereef wanted my tank featured. This was my point to Joe, instead of throwing out jabs on why it's not being done volunteer your own time and tank as a candidate. All joking aside (exactly what my retorts to Joe today were) I've been the only one to my knowledge bugging people to feature their tank. If anyone knows of a tank that needs to be featured, bug them about it. Reach out to me I'll help them however possible. I’ve even gone and done full photo shoots for people tanks and their tank still never made it to totq for reasons outside my control.

There’s been one recently that’s been a “wow tank” candidate, but I’ve been holding back from bugging them. Let’s see if anyone else catches the tank and asks them.

madjoe

Premium member
I completely agree! Do a search looking at the past threads and posts me trying to get totq tanks. This exact same conversation has been had before, which I'm now reiterating. There are two main responses when asking someone to accept totq.
1. My tank isn't ready for totq yet, thanks for the offer, but let's let it mature more.
2. I dont have the... (time, camera, or want/skill to perform the write up) Thanks, but I'll pass.

I completely understand both responses, I gave them both when Eyereef wanted my tank featured. This was my point to Joe, instead of throwing out jabs on why it's not being done volunteer your own time and tank as a candidate. All joking aside (exactly what my retorts to Joe today were) I've been the only one to my knowledge bugging people to feature their tank. If anyone knows of a tank that needs to be featured, bug them about it. Reach out to me I'll help them however possible. I’ve even gone and done full photo shoots for people tanks and their tank still never made it to totq for reasons outside my control.

There’s been one recently that’s been a “wow tank” candidate, but I’ve been holding back from bugging them. Let’s see if anyone else catches the tank and asks them.
First off I wasn't throwing jabs was a legit question i havent seen any post about it or anything and the featured reef well that guy came from thin air and disappeared like a fart in wind right after so his was pointless. And aint totm dif then featured reef i thought featured reef u have to do all that work and write up but totm should be just a pic . People r busy and hell most people cant understand what i write any ways and i only speak English. U think any body gonna understand mais write up without a translation. All jokes aside . If u pay attention to my build thread u would know that a write up and pics of my tank would be pointless as a reef without corals is not a reef and posting a reefless reef as totm we would be a laughing stock . Again i made a harmless comment u got cranky and took it wrong way . Site has been blah for while u say it runs it self but unless u mean into the ground it needs mods that participate and come up with creative ideas to get people talking or take care of contest when u gotz no time . Take it as u will but i know and talk to way more people then there ever is on this site at any time and all think the same . The few of us old guys that r still here just r hanging on to hope. And another thing theres another cr forum not clr but cr forget real name they r dead too but they have a dislike button this way u can dislike my post when ever u want nnInn

gonebad395

I do agree we need to have a more prominent presence of cr staff to help make this run. I really like this site and don't want to see it wither away. This is the site I started on and met a lot of great people on and would be a shame if it just faded away

Volcano1

I just say this thread, so I figured I'd respond to a few things posted here.
First, and the point of the OP, the coral in question is a purple Gorgonian. It is photosynthetic , and has been easy for me to keep. I've had it over 10 years, and has survived several crashes. i don't see them that much locally, and they are usually a pretty cheap coral to buy.
If you want a chunk, lmk, as my fish routinely knock pieces off.But I'm way out in the boonies.

Second ,
Josh contacted me about doing tank of the month/quarter/year, whatever. I was honored to be asked, and didn't know if my tank was up to that level. I started to have some issues , right before then, so it wasn't at it's peak.I also did not have access or ability to good photographic equipment. I didn't know if I could do justice to accurately represent the tank.All photos were from an i-phone, they were under all MH lighting, with no supplementation.So the clarity and the"pop" of the colors didn't look as nice as those using blue supplementation, with led's t-5's etc. and good equipment and photo skills. I live out in the boonies, so not many locals have that stuff available to me.
Also the time and logistics of doing a layout for the tank, were beyond my scope. I considered all these things, before committing.
Josh was nice enough to offer to do the heavy lifting and put together the article.All i basically did , was try to get some photo's of the tank and forward them to him along with some basic info on myself, and my system.I don't know how much time he put into everything, but it was a lot more than mine. So he should get some Kudos's for finding a tank to put on the site and for getting the article together. I'm sure he has asked others before, and they may have very well declined for some of the same reasons i considered.
Third
I did join the sight in 2013, and have made some posts prior to and after my tank was featured. I live in the boonies and came across this sight after talking to a few people at a CMAS swap. Not being local, I didn't have the benefit of interaction of other reefers hooked up with the site. My primary Site, as many of us before CR, was RC. I have been a member there since 2001.It was nice to have a fairly local sight to post on without the heavy hand of RC.My "local" club has come and gone, along with many of the local reefers over the years.I have and do spend some time on here, though I don't post as often. Most times by the time I see a post, most of the info was been asked and answered or i don't feel I have the knowledge to assist.I really don't like to post , just for posting's sake.Since and slightly before the tank was featured, I've had big issues with the tank and my personal life to not really want to showcase any of my tank.I tried to use a ARID reactor to improve water quality, which I probably should have left alone, and changed some of my husbandry to per the manufacturers instructions.I never could grow cheato, my water quality got worse, and I got AEFW's. I lost 75% of my tank since it was featured. I went through a total break down of the sps, and placed them in quarantine in the fall. I went 8+ weeks fallow in the display tank, dipped every week in the quarantine tub. I put corals back in , after not seeing any AEFW's or eggs for 3+ weeks.
The last two weeks, I found some small AEFW's again.so it' looks like back to square one.I 've suffered some injuries , which keep me from being able to get into the tank as much, and I've had alot less free time, with household responsibilities, since my wife has been commuting to work now.
So i don't feel I came out of no where or that I left like a fart in the wind, but to each his own.
If you don't like something here , I'm sure Josh would take the feed back. And it appears he has to some extent. If this was RC, I think some posters may be on vacation for a while.
Any way, I don't like to post unless I feel it's useful or if someone has a question.
In this case I think I should post something.

Status
Not open for further replies.