trying to figure out calcium and alkalinity

How does everybody keep there levels up? it seems like my levels are up and down. Is there any rule of thumb on how much your system is using a day? any pointers on this?, how do you all figure out how much you need to add? and how often?

yogoshio

There are calculators on BRS's website. And many people run 450-500 ppm on a regular basis.

The only way to know how much your system is using is taking measurements and staying on top of it.

In terms of dosing, Tropic Marin makes dissolvable calcium that is accurate and tells you exactly how much it will affect calcium levels. If I'm not mistaken, most mixes do that as long as you follow proper measuring. The only way to figure it out for sure is to stay on top of it.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Everyone's tank uses different amounts so there is no "rule of thumb". You need to start with the same dose for a week and test your levels often. Within a couple weeks you'll be able to figue out how much you need to dose to keep your tank levels stable. Personally I add kalk in my ATO resevior. Once in a while I'll need to adjust my levels but for the most part it stays pretty stable.

What are you dosing?

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Everyone's tank uses different amounts so there is no "rule of thumb". You need to start with the same dose for a week and test your levels often. Within a couple weeks you'll be able to figue out how much you need to dose to keep your tank levels stable. Personally I add kalk in my ATO resevior. Once in a while I'll need to adjust my levels but for the most part it stays pretty stable.
+1 Get your levels right and figure out how you use in a week.

The link below should help to figure out the dosage needed and divide that by 7 days = Your dally dosage or adjust as needed.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

The reefer

The way I started to test was the day I did a wc. Test for around 1-2 weeks and test at the same time so u get a better idea on how much ur tank uses. I've been using seachem reef fusion and have excellent results.