Turning Bio Pellets on after being off for weeks

Cubbies

So here is the story. I have a black lab that is terrified of storms and whenever there is one he looks for a spot to go cozy up in. Well last night he ended up around my equipment plug ins. A couple weeks ago I disconnected a bio pellet reactor due to it clogging way too much and left it sitting there. I am looking for something better. This morning I go to the fish tank and everything is off. Hectically I start plugging a couple plugs that were disconnected in and turn the switches on. Now I don't know if anybody has ever opened a canister of bio pellets after them sitting there for a couple days but they smell rotten if you have. Well I left the room for a few minutes and came back to check everything was ok. I smelled that rotten smell and I was oh darn! Of course I plugged the BP back on!! Now my questions are: Has anyone ever done this and what did you do? Am I in trouble? What should I do? It smells horrible atm but everything looks ok in the tank. Sorry for the long story! TIA

Herbie

Banned
Did you do a water change to be safe? If it stinks it's probably bad for the tank

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Cubbies

Water ran through the reactor for like 5 minutes. Everything still looking ok. But either way, yea it reeked!

Herbie

Banned
Your tank is probably way bigger than mine but I'd drop extra carbon an do a big wc if that happened to me. Not a lot of time to" wait and see" in my world. Fortunately it's biological and it isn't a defensive toxin, but you have to think it's a big introduction of something nasty that wasn't there before. If the reactor was off for weeks there's no telling what is living in there and what it was pooping.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2