Uh oh

anarchy

Well went to test alk tonight and got 7.7. Then i started thinking that even with the cal reactor shutting off for 3 days and me being on vacation not able to fix it that it should be much lower. And the past 10 times ive tested its all been between 7.7-8.6. Now the test kit i was using was my newest one but the expiration date is 12/19. The old one in my closet is almost empty but i figured id try it and compare. The expiration date of this one is 5/20. The old almost empty one gave me a reading of 6.1. Now im confused on which one to believe. Looks like a trip to AP tomorrow to get a new kit

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

ReeferRick

Get a hanna Alk checker (newer version)

So convenient and easy to use.
Got my digital alk checker for 50$ last week, great investment

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I hear you. Alk tests are scary. I tested last night and got 109 ppm. Seemed really low so tested again with my old reagent and for 170 ppm. Tested a third time with the newer reagent and got 111 ppm. Tested with my Sailifert and got DkH of 6.2, which is about what the 111 ppm translates to.

So, my old Hanna reagent had chunks in it and gave a bad reading. Looks like it was the 111 was correct and, about 6.2 is correct

tinman

I hear you. Alk tests are scary. I tested last night and got 109 ppm. Seemed really low so tested again with my old reagent and for 170 ppm. Tested a third time with the newer reagent and got 111 ppm. Tested with my Sailifert and got DkH of 6.2, which is about what the 111 ppm translates to.

So, my old Hanna reagent had chunks in it and gave a bad reading. Looks like it was the 111 was correct and, about 6.2 is correct
not just alk all test kits these days are being like that ..

i have 2 salifert alk tests, normally check with only one and occassionally with both to make sure they are on same point ..
magnesium i have a red sea and a salifert and another red sea (old one ) .... none of those three ever show the same value .. but as long as they are in range im ok with it as magnesium is not as detrimental.

anarchy

Just annoying since they done expire for another 3 years. Makes me wonder if it was ever accurate

anarchy

I hear yah, I hope you get your tank figure out man. I spent way to much their agen.
Thats why my wife gives me a budget every month now. Apparently spending hundreds of dollars each week isnt right? Atleast thats what she says

xj_matt

Premium member
Thats why my wife gives me a budget every month now. Apparently spending hundreds of dollars each week isnt right? Atleast thats what she says

Lol... well I got bad news, I just got home and pulled the fish out to float him and he was dead in the bag. I have the the worst of luck with fish it sucks