upgrading question.

The reefer

im really thinking about upgrading from a 12 to a 24g nano cube but the thing i dont know how to transfer everything to the 24.

do i have to let it cycle?
how do i add more sand?
how can i add more rock?
or can i throw everything in there?

if u can help me out and convince me to go for it that will b great.

The reefer

yea ive seen ur setup of ur 2 cubes. looks great. so i can add more rock but has to b cured right? and also wat if i wanted to take this chance to try to kill sum digi hydroids that i have in my tank by boiling the LR i have in my 12. theres only like 6 digis left but dont want them to come back.

Pufferpunk

Why not get some rock & cure it in a bucket to be sure? If there is no ammonia/nitrite after a couple of days, it should be fine to use.

The reefer

u dont live to far from me. can u send me a pic of the tank? i work with acrylic so mayb i can find sumthing to fix it with.

The reefer

yea i was thinking about getting cured rock also with my rock in there. on my rock i dont have any corals there all on frag plugs. so can i brush my rock to see if i can get sum of those digis off?

EyeReef

All you need to do is move your stuff to the new tank including the established filter media if possible. You will probably want more sand and rock to fill out the tank. Just get cured liverock or dry rock and plain dry sand and you will not need to let it cycle again. You may spur a mini cycle by stirring up your sand bed but nothing that will be extremely detrimental to fish/coral. If you are really worried about it get some Prime and dose it for a week or so.

If you want to take a look at a 24g nanocube for sizing or even take home a free 24g nanocube with a cracked back glass wall let me know.
+1
...its really not that bad! I transfered live rock --> corals --->fish ---> sand
Try to keep to reuse most of your old tank water

jeepsdoitall

hey guys i am thinking of transferring to a bigger tank as well i want to move all of the stuff from my 75 into my 220g any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated im going to crash now but i will catch up with yall tomorrow just wanted to get some thoughts

jeepsdoitall

i was thinking about putting some of my sand and rock in there with the new stuff and letting it run with a few damsels for a while and see how it goes

The reefer

so i fill up the 24 with around 12-13 gal of new salt water then add my tank water, rock then sand then fish?

The reefer

skull where by downtown r u? i would like to see if i can borrow the tank to see how it would fit in a spot i have in mind for it.

jcarlilesiu

As long as he doesn't add any additional bioload, then he shouldn't have issues. The bioload is currently supported by his current biological filtration, so if it is all moved over to the bigger tank it should be ok.

He will need to add additional rock as either cured live rock or base rock to ensure no spikes. He also should add additional stock slowly to allow the biological filtration to build up to the new demand.

Sent on tapatalk for Android

scotty

another thing to remember, we move rock thousands of miles, sitting in boxes with no light for weeks while they get through customs sometimes, and people get fish, crabs, sponges, corals all over their rock.

this stuff is really more hardy than you give it credit. transfer the stuff, make extra saltwater for the just in case, and if you get spikes of anything do a water change, you'll be fine. the gallonage you are upping reefer is pretty minimal.

i would agree with the don't cycle new rock or anything crazy like that in the tank.

The reefer

So if i add cured live rock I will b ok. Cuz I would probably only buy mayb 10lbs more. I have around 10 right now

triggerfish

Quarantine EVERYTHING that goes in your tank,even the rock.

I've got all fish in hypo because of rock that i added that had crypt on it. i knew better, but i thought my 40 watt uv would keep it in check but HA, not a chance.

Quarantine is alot easier then hypo!

please don't take a chance.

i think i just became a quarantine preacher.

Pufferpunk

+1 on dry rock, your LR will seed it just fine. Marco Rocks makes some nice stuff & it's pretty cheap to ship dry.