Used Base Rock: Does it need to be cleaned?

pensiveone

Hi folks. I picked up some really nice looking former live rock off that has some nice coloring to it in shades of purple, green and brown. I like the way it looks, so I was wondering is it really necessary to bleach it? It has been over two years since it was live rock, so I'm guessing nothing is still living on them. Thanks!

maidia

Team CR
For safety and prevent nitrate and phosphate bleach out, soak in vinegar and RO water..The color of the rock will be back one day.

madjoe

Premium member
Might as well bleach color nit gonna stay any way. If i take out power head and leave out for few weeks and put back in color goea away any way the coraline is dead but eventually new stuff will grow

mikenh77

Yeah, you want to get all that color off... it's dead tissue of algae/sponge/etc... meaning it will decay in the water and release phosphates and ammonia. Bleach will kill and loosen up the organics. Vinegar will help dissolve out some of the phosphate that absorbed into the rock. Instead of vinegar I went the extra mile and burned off the top layer of used rock with muriatic acid just to be safe.

pensiveone

Yeah, you want to get all that color off... it's dead tissue of algae/sponge/etc... meaning it will decay in the water and release phosphates and ammonia. Bleach will kill and loosen up the organics. Vinegar will help dissolve out some of the phosphate that absorbed into the rock. Instead of vinegar I went the extra mile and burned off the top layer of used rock with muriatic acid just to be safe.
Okay I soaked it overnight in a bleach water solution. I actually have some muriatic acid in my garage. How much did you use and for how long?

Never mind, I found out how to do it on another forum. Letting it sit in the solution overnight. Man, that stuff can really foam up!

Last edited:

mikenh77

Yeah it does foam up! Hope everything worked out. I think I used a whole gallon in a 30 gallon tub. I can't remember.